Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AIS Receiver Versus AIS Transponder

Just curious as to how many out there are using AIS receivers versus the more expensive option of a transponder.

I can buy an NMEA 2000 AIS receiver to plug into my system for a couple hundred bucks but a transponder is a little more pricey.

Also wondering if anyone who uses a transponder has the ability to shut it off if/when desired.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Re: AIS Receiver Versus AIS Transponder

I have a Vesper xponder and I shut it off when I am in a slip or tied to a dock using the Vesper app on my phone.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

The Icom M506 VHF radio I bought about two years ago incorporates an AIS receiver. While this could be useful I find that the screen is small and the procedure cumbersome switching from one scale to another and having to cycle through all to return. Since I am a 90% fair weather sailor it seems that if I can see any other vessels then I don't need to manipulate the AIS screen to call them. Even at night I find the radar screen to be more intuitive in avoidance. As my old VHF went inop I figured this would be a nice feature to have--which it is, but not as useful as I hoped.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

AIS can be useful depending on where you are and how you use the boat. Defender has NMEA 2000 Class B transponder from digital yacht for as low as $500. I don’t think it s worth bothering with a receiver only

One thing is sure is that you are more visible with AIS and considering good ole fashioned watch keeping is going the way of common sense and courtesy... it is becoming a good safety device when operating in busy waters.

An increasing number of boats have AIS even sailboats...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Get the transponder. Commercial folks like tug boats truly appreciate knowing who and where you are. I notice that with a transponder, the professional captains are much more likely to communicate with you. Had a situation in the ICW (Texas) with a bridge, and a BIG tug pushing a GIANT barge called us by name and said he was coming around a bend and would we mind holding up so he could get through the opening with out stopping his vessel. made for quick efficient communication and a smooth passage.

As soon as I can I am buying the Vesper system for my boat.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I know the pilots on the St Johns river in Jacksonville appreciate you having AIS transponder, especially in poor visibility. They can call you directly by your vessels name, which makes for far less confusion, especially as they have your course and speed data, and tell you exactly where they want you in the channel. Also probably helps locate you if in trouble as its tied to your MMSI #
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I have a receiver, in the VHF radio, and I have it connected to my chart plotter (via NEMA 1893) and it does work well. However, almost no recreational craft have transponders. I know this because if they did they would show up on the screen. Just saying. It doesn't replace radar. It is useful around commercial ports, and as others have noted, on a river with a lot of commercial traffic. But I will be putting future $ towards radar before a transponder. The ICW doesn't have much commercial traffic, if any, anymore. It isn't like the inland rivers when we brought the boat down here. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a transponder. But I would only invest in one after radar.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 08-19-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

8. Re: AIS Receiver Versus AIS Transponder

If you boat at all on inland waterways with commercial tow traffic, or are contemplating doing the Great Loop, a transponder is a vital piece of safety equipment.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Indeed it all depends on type of operation.

Sailing solo off-shore the AIS receiver with LOUD alarm saved my bacon more than once. I would have tossed the radar before giving up the AIS. At the time the transponder was not out yet, had it been I would have had one.

Next boat will be a powerboat and I'll be putting along in-shore or near-shore in relatively un-cluttered waters mostly during daylight. The priority will be a radar, AIS receiver and if I run out of things to spend money on a transponder.

That said, also as explained above, if I end up on the big rivers for extended periods of time the transponder is a must have.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-19-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We do a lot of in the dark runs offshore for fishing so AIS is a great safety tool with the AIS targets showing up on both the radar as well as the plotter. Personally I don't think receive only AIS should be offered as it should be you have to give to be able to get. For me it's just important to be scene to others as it for us to know who's out there. One of my other beefs is AIS transponders that have not been configured with the boats info.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E