Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water stains on wood

I’ve had a clogged air conditioner condensate drain overflow the air handler’s drain pan and soak a varnished bulkhead in a cabin below. It’s still wet- but I suspect it will the stain will stay. Any tips on this situation?
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

2. Re: Water stains on wood

I don't have any specific info, but when we bought out current boat one of the survey items was a leaking fixed window. We had it reinstalled at Cable Marine in FTL. They had someone [outside contractor?] use touch up paint to cover the stain by painting it to match the grain. I was told that that person was in high demand. You can't tell where it was.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Water stains on wood

Had some luck with wood bleach to lighten dark spots.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    I don't have any specific info, but when we bought out current boat one of the survey items was a leaking fixed window. We had it reinstalled at Cable Marine in FTL. They had someone [outside contractor?] use touch up paint to cover the stain by painting it to match the grain. I was told that that person was in high demand. You can't tell where it was.
    Monique Richter, specializes in faux teak, either Ft Lauderdale or Stuart; just saw her on TV. Not sure, but she may only work through the boatyards.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

If it’s really noticeable hire a professional that knows how to strip, bleach re-stains done varnish. If you’re doing it and have never done it before the technique is, strip off the varnish, sand lightly, use wood bleach let dry, sand lightly apply stain to match and then re-varnish. Pros make it look easy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    If it’s really noticeable hire a professional that knows how to strip, bleach re-stains done varnish. If you’re doing it and have never done it before the technique is, strip off the varnish, sand lightly, use wood bleach let dry, sand lightly apply stain to match and then re-varnish. Pros make it look easy.
    Sand V E R Y lightly. If its the same as my '79, it is probably veneer. If you sand through it, the white plywood shines through. Ask me how I know.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I would get a dehumidifier in that room asap and run a fan. Turn the heat on if possible. Water evaporates out of wood at high heat and low humidity. You may be surprised at how it turns out once the moisture is out of the wood itself. I own a mold remediation company and have worked a lot of floods. There are no guarantees but the sooner you get it dry the better. Then you will know what you have to work with.

Go back to the "Sub" Thread that Yachtsmanbill did years ago. He bleached the wood with acid and refinished. It looked like new and that boat sunk. You can't get much more of a water stain than that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI