Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tach - Glendenning

Quote Originally Posted by tonytrakovich View Post
    My boat had 1292s but it had a mechanical drive cable between the engine and the glendinning. The tach sender was on the glendinning. I had the same problem. It was the drive cable and 90 deg. adapter on the engine. Lauderdale Speedometer made me a new cable and adapter while I waited. Problem fixed.
    My 8v71TIs are set up this way and the 90 deg. adapter is loose. Should it be tightened by tightening the collar? It looks like about a 1.5” nut. Is it a diy project to remove, check the gear and replace?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The tachometers and glendenning synchronizer are driven by a small pigtail coming off the back of your blower drive. The square drive from the blower drive shaft enters a tachometer pickup, and glendenning pickup. Hopefully, it's a problem in the pickup unit. The drive pigtail can breakdown, and that's a serious issue because it can put metal into the engine. On my engine, it's on the port engine. Easy fix. 2 nuts hold on the pickup unit, and the blower shaft is retained by a c clip, and just slides out. The Glendenning folks have repair parts, but you'll need to know your rotation ratio.
    Sorry I copied the wrong post. Mine are set up like this on the blower drive.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    My tach generator is fitted on a small 90 degree gear box installed on the back of the transmission pump. a cable drive then delivers rpm to the glendenning synchronizer. The tack generator can also be put on the other end of the cable going into the synchronizer. Two wires send impulse signal to tach gage.
    Pete

Mine is this exact same way. Today we did sea trials after having to get the starboard engine rebuilt - again. The starboard tach no longer works at either helm. I have verified the cable is turning entering the sychronizer. Is there power supposed to be going to the sending unit on the sychronizer, and if so where does it come from? Did not read any from either wire. I plan to troubleshoot this further this weekend and would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. It worked before we did the rebuild so I'm thinking something got disturbed