Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tach - Glendenning

For purposes of discussion, 1986 54 MY with 8v92TA's. Assume I am an idiot and mechanically unskilled.

Port tachs stopped working at both helm stations. Glendenning quit engaging at same time. I am guessing failure at sender.

Where is the sender and what should I look for?

What type of tech do I call to fix? Detroit Diesel? Glenndenning? Other? Boat is in Tampa.

Would installing Flo Scans, digital tachs, or an upgrade by necessity fix the problem?

What is the estimated purchase and install cost for this route?

Thank you for your thoughts and assistance.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext. cockpit)
    Tampa

Re: Tach - Glendenning

I would call Glendenning. They are very helpful and got mine going right off the bat. Sounds like you are on the right track for a sensor based on this link.

https://www.glendinningprods.com/wp-...?4cf23d&4cf23d

Not a great picture, but here's your sender.

IMG_8830.jpg

There are, as I recall, two very small gauge leads attached. They are delicate. May be a good starting point.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I thought glendenning uses mechanical drive cables between the engines and the unit. Senders would be far too inaccurate to get an exact match of RPM. A single problem may still be causing both symptoms, but it wouldn't be the sender.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I thought glendenning uses mechanical drive cables between the engines and the unit. Senders would be far too inaccurate to get an exact match of RPM. A single problem may still be causing both symptoms, but it wouldn't be the sender.
    Throttle and shifters are cables. The RPM input from the motors is an electronic takeoff from the motor’s gear driven tach drive.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Throttle and shifters are cables. The RPM input from the motors is an electronic takeoff from the motor’s gear driven tach drive.
    You are correct. I took another look at lunch and the tach input is electrical, not mechanical.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

My boat had 1292s but it had a mechanical drive cable between the engine and the glendinning. The tach sender was on the glendinning. I had the same problem. It was the drive cable and 90 deg. adapter on the engine. Lauderdale Speedometer made me a new cable and adapter while I waited. Problem fixed.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

The tachometers and glendenning synchronizer are driven by a small pigtail coming off the back of your blower drive. The square drive from the blower drive shaft enters a tachometer pickup, and glendenning pickup. Hopefully, it's a problem in the pickup unit. The drive pigtail can breakdown, and that's a serious issue because it can put metal into the engine. On my engine, it's on the port engine. Easy fix. 2 nuts hold on the pickup unit, and the blower shaft is retained by a c clip, and just slides out. The Glendenning folks have repair parts, but you'll need to know your rotation ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytrakovich View Post
    My boat had 1292s but it had a mechanical drive cable between the engine and the glendinning. The tach sender was on the glendinning. I had the same problem. It was the drive cable and 90 deg. adapter on the engine. Lauderdale Speedometer made me a new cable and adapter while I waited. Problem fixed.
    This is the way my boat is set up as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My tach generator is fitted on a small 90 degree gear box installed on the back of the transmission pump. a cable drive then delivers rpm to the glendenning synchronizer. The tack generator can also be put on the other end of the cable going into the synchronizer. Two wires send impulse signal to tach gage.
    Pete