Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Barret Stabilizers?

Looking at a boat that has them installed but the owner is not sure if they work. Neither is the captain who runs her. The boat has not left the slip other than back and forth to storage or for a sightseeing cruises in the last bunch of years. Are they obsolete or still serviceable? How can one tell if they are working if it’s calm seas? The surveyor I was considering on using hasn’t had many dealings with stabilizers at all. Obviously I’m looking for other surveyors who might have better knowledge but thoughts from any of you experienced folks? This will be our first Hatteras so we are just babes in the woods. The boat in question is a 1988 60MY with 892’s. Thank in advanced for the help!
    Last edited by Sadey; 08-17-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Re: Barret Stabilizers?

These boats were generally equipped with Bennett Trim Tabs on the transom of the boat. Did you mean Bennett?

Trim tabs are not the same as stabilisers and have a different purpose to the big fins protruding from the hull under the engines.

If the surveyor has not dealt with stabilisers before, find another who surveys bigger and more complex boats.

If you are in Southern California contact forum member Scarlett for a survey.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Never heard of them.

I don’t buy the not knowing if they re working. Even in a short sightseeing trip the captain would have turn the stabs on, just to use then or in case of a wake.

Stabs will react to even a sharp turn... easy to see if they work
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you cannot leave the dock, you can look at the top of the actuator while a couple of people walk back from side to side quickly on the top deck so the boat will rock a little. If you get it rocking they should move a little if the system is functioning. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Also if you can take the boat out even in Smith water and get beam on to your own wake they should move. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Darn spell check that’s smooth water
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

I think he's referring to Wilcox Sea Brace.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI