Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Alternative to Fireboy shut down systems

During the refit and repower I have eliminated the old CO system in favor of three separate Xintex Fireboy bottles, one per machinery space.

Option nr 1 is using a single Fireboy shut down module. I don’t like the idea of shutting down both engine and gensets for a discharge in single compartment

Option nr 2 would be to use three modules which is fine except for the price tag... over $1000.

Option nr 3 would be to use off the shelf relays for each bottle switch to trigger a shut down in the space it is installed. Setting up system ready and system discharged LEDs along with override switch is pretty easy

I wouldn’t do that on a commercial boat but on a strictly private vessel, why not?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Alternative to Fireboy shut down systems

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    During the refit and repower I have eliminated the old CO system in favor of three separate Xintex Fireboy bottles, one per machinery space. Option nr 1 is using a single Fireboy shut down module. I don’t like the idea of shutting down both engine and gensets for a discharge in single compartment Option nr 2 would be to use three modules which is fine except for the price tag... over $1000. Option nr 3 would be to use off the shelf relays for each bottle switch to trigger a shut down in the space it is installed. Setting up system ready and system discharged LEDs along with override switch is pretty easyI wouldn’t do that on a commercial boat but on a strictly private vessel, why not?
    Insurance
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Insurance
    Exactly Robert. I’d check with the insurance requirements are before changing. You might not be covered. However I like your idea on having 3 systems. Let us know what you find out.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

After setting mine off and seeing how well it worked I decided to keep the current system. The quotes I got to certify the existing tank and refill was really cheap. So after thinking I’d only have to paint the tank, it seams like the best option
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

5. Re: Alternative to Fireboy shut down systems

From a safety and fire protection standpoint is there a downside to the Fireboy system? The large CO2 tank makes it very difficult to get to the starboard side of my engine. It's very appealing to me to place several smaller tanks in the engine room to make access better.

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    From a safety and fire protection standpoint is there a downside to the Fireboy system? The large CO2 tank makes it very difficult to get to the starboard side of my engine. It's very appealing to me to place several smaller tanks in the engine room to make access better.
    You can’t use multiple bottles in a single space unless they piped together and set to go off simultaneously which greatly increase system cost. If case of a discharge, the whole system incl connecting hose must be removed and sent to Fireboy for inspection. Can’t be done by dealers. Takes a couple of weeks or more. Been there done that on two different boats
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: Alternative to Fireboy shut down systems

Helpful thank you. I'll go on a diet and save the money continuing with existing CO2 system.