Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Help: need 3/4” plastic compression nut

The compression nut connecting the plastic tubing on the saltwater wash down system has cracked spraying our master stateroom. I’m having a devil of a time finding a replacement. We are anchoring on the Eastern Shore of MD and really need the seawater wash to spare the fresh water supply. Lots of sticky mud here!

The only local substitute I can find is carbon steel from a hydraulic shop, does anyone know of a source for there in plastic? I am renting a car and driving to pick up the steel one, but it will need to be replaced with plastic sooner or later and I can’t find one.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Help: need 3/4” plastic compression nut

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    The compression nut connecting the plastic tubing on the saltwater wash down system has cracked spraying our master stateroom. I’m having a devil of a time finding a replacement. We are anchoring on the Eastern Shore of MD and really need the seawater wash to spare the fresh water supply. Lots of sticky mud here! The only local substitute I can find is carbon steel from a hydraulic shop, does anyone know of a source for there in plastic? I am renting a car and driving to pick up the steel one, but it will need to be replaced with plastic sooner or later and I can’t find one.
    Just wondering if you easily convert the pipes to flare. Sorry, no help on your nut.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Had pretty good luck with oddball piping stuff on the Chris Craft at a Parker Hannifin store.

Try these guys:

https://www.colliflower.com/maryland-locations
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Consider swapping the whole fitting out for copper.. Found this place with a Google search

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...xoCqm8QAvD_BwE

Did you look on McMaster.com? They might have what you are looking for. Also, is there a manufacturer of the original system you can call and ask for a replacement part? I am not too far away, in Annapolis, let me know if I can help you out.

I found out today that’s it’s RV water system stuff called “Qest” (quest). I found spares online for $2.88 ea! In the meantime I’ve attached a garden hose mender with a male end to the 7/8” tube in the air handler compartment next to my nightstand. I can run a garden hose from the master stateroom up the stairs and out the pilot house door to wash off the anchor. Complicated, but I only need to do it twice since we are going to be in a marina on Thursday and I can pick up my mail.

The seawater plumbing downstream of the pump is all 7/8” grey plastic flexible tubing with these Qest compression fittings, now that I’ve identified it, I’ll get the parts to add a QD for sea water to the pulpit. In a perfect world I’d replace it all with PEX, but the cheapest solution is to use the original stuff and just add the new run into the chain locker and up to the aft face of the pulpit.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

An addition: the grey tubing is polybutylene and is used in the larger sizes by the manufactured housing industry. I’m going to call a few local dealers and see if they have any tubing and fittings.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I've got a 63 MY, 1987 model.. all my plumbing is copper. No polybutelene pipe anywhere on the boat. Was the pump added later? They quit making and using grey poly pipe in the mid 90's. It develops pin hole leaks. They made 2 kinds of grey poly pipe... the kind that fails and the kind that is going to fail. Pex is the replacement. Those fittings are also called qwik tite fittings.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 08-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.