Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

DD series 60 in a 78 / 46 ft convertible

Hi, Has anyone any experience in whether you can fit 60 series into a 46 convertible? I am concerned they may be to high and not have enough room from the top of the engines to the underside of the floor hatches in the saloon?

Re: DD series 60 in a 78 / 46 ft convertible

Mick, if you look on boatdiesel.com, you will find a lot of spec sheets for diesels old and new. You might have to upgrade your membership, but it isn't expensive. I think you can find a spec sheet there which will tell you what you need to know. I think a CAT 3406 will fit in there, which is about the same size, but I can't swear to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Mick, if you look on boatdiesel.com, you will find a lot of spec sheets for diesels old and new. You might have to upgrade your membership, but it isn't expensive. I think you can find a spec sheet there which will tell you what you need to know. I think a CAT 3406 will fit in there, which is about the same size, but I can't swear to it.
    Great thanks Jim. I will check it out.

The QSM11 is a current engine. the series 60 was discontinued 10 years ago.

I'd not try to squeeze a 60 in. I believe its larger and harder to find parts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The QSM11 is a current engine. the series 60 was discontinued 10 years ago.I'd not try to squeeze a 60 in. I believe its larger and harder to find parts.
    Thanks Scott, yeah I don’t believe they still make them but we were planning on rebuilding any engine we decide on. I best check out the size of them before we go any further. Thanks

this site has many brochures/spec sheets. i don't know engines well enough to know if your
    engine is there, but it is free to take a look.

http://www.goldcoastpower.com/brochures.cfm?i8

The Series 60 may still be offered in his market. Also, he mentioned a preference for it, and evidently he's worked on them before. And there is a substantial difference in price, optentially.

Do think Series 60 is being sold in some markets.
    Here's a link to a piece written about the 46 Hatteras "Good Grief" which had an extensive overhaul including CAT c15's which are very similar in size to Series 60.
    https://www.inthebite.com/2014/09/46...-new-from-old/

Btw, think the CAT 12.9's would be perfect in a 46.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by oldboat View Post
    this site has many brochures/spec sheets. i don't know engines well enough to know if your engine is there, but it is free to take a look.http://www.goldcoastpower.com/brochures.cfm?i8
    Will do. Thanks for the heads up.