Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Whale Gulper IC installed

1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I installed a Gulper last month to replace a Jabsco belt-drive diaphragm pump that kept losing suction. So far, I'm very impressed with the Gulper's performance. The only thing I'm not keen on is that while the pump itself is quiet, it makes a heck of a racket at the shower drain.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I installed a Gulper last month to replace a Jabsco belt-drive diaphragm pump that kept losing suction. So far, I'm very impressed with the Gulper's performance. The only thing I'm not keen on is that while the pump itself is quiet, it makes a heck of a racket at the shower drain.
    Yes, that glugging sound isn’t attractive...until I look in the bilge/sump and it’s bone dry...then I feel better about it :-))))
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    great find--thank you

So the idea here is that you have no sump/reservoir box at all, the pump handles the grey water flow real time?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    great find--thank you

I’m not sure if it’s better to wire the converter before the switch so that it’s on all the time, or after the switch so it cycles on and off. One of you electronics gurus could weigh in on that.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    So the idea here is that you have no sump/reservoir box at all, the pump handles the grey water flow real time?

Thanks,

George
    That is correct.

I love the gulping sound it makes...lets me know that my plumbing is working!!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post

Thanks,

George
    This sounds like a great solution for several issues I have. One is that the Rule switches keep failing in the sump tank. The other issue is a couple of AC condensation drain lines that tend to back up (and they drain into the bilges). I have to pro-actively wet-vac out every few weeks or they back up and leak in other areas. I'm wondering if the Whale Gulper pump would provide a similar effect as the wet-vac on the AC drain line? Also, if there is no sump tank, how does the pump know when to engage?
    Thanks!
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    This sounds like a great solution for several issues I have. One is that the Rule switches keep failing in the sump tank. The other issue is a couple of AC condensation drain lines that tend to back up (and they drain into the bilges). I have to pro-actively wet-vac out every few weeks or they back up and leak in other areas. I'm wondering if the Whale Gulper pump would provide a similar effect as the wet-vac on the AC drain line? Also, if there is no sump tank, how does the pump know when to engage?Thanks!Jerry
    Hi Jerry; if you look at the photo I posted, you’ll see the black wire running from the back of the manifold. This connects a solid state sensor in the manifold (Whale’s version of the Johnson Ultima switch) to the pump. When water reaches the level of the sensor, it turns the pump on. When the water drops, there’s a 15 second delay, then the pump shuts off. There is an additional lead from the pump that allows connection for switched manual override. Since there are two lines draining into the manifold, the pump might pull a vacuum on a plugged condensate line when the shower is running, but hard to say if it would be strong enough to clear a plug. I’ve tried a lot of different potions in my condensate lines. At the moment, the blue Home Depot pan tabs and a white vinegar flush every couple of months seems to be working well. I still use the wet vac once or twice a year.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Hi Jerry; if you look at the photo I posted, you’ll see the black wire running from the back of the manifold. This connects a solid state sensor in the manifold (Whale’s version of the Johnson Ultima switch) to the pump. When water reaches the level of the sensor, it turns the pump on. When the water drops, there’s a 15 second delay, then the pump shuts off. There is an additional lead from the pump that allows connection for switched manual override. Since there are two lines draining into the manifold, the pump might pull a vacuum on a plugged condensate line when the shower is running, but hard to say if it would be strong enough to clear a plug. I’ve tried a lot of different potions in my condensate lines. At the moment, the blue Home Depot pan tabs and a white vinegar flush every couple of months seems to be working well. I still use the wet vac once or twice a year.
    Thanks Mike! Okay, now it makes perfect sense. I have a Whale Gulper pump that i had intended to use as an extra bilge pump, but I think I may re-purpose it for the forward sump and an AC condensate, looks like a great set up! Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL