Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tranny--not a sexual orientation thread

I have a pair of ZF BW190´s behind two 12v-71 Detroits with Glendining mechanical controls. The port gear is slow to engage/respond, doesn't have the "pop" into gear. Symptoms started suddenly, pressure remains a steady 225 idle/250 under load., temp. oil is clean and topped off. I pulled the heat exchanger to clean/inspect, I don't see anything concerning but would love some feedback what I might look for to ensure the cooler doesn't need replaced. I pulled the gear inspection cover to get a look at internals. All the teeth look great, very minimal metallic from the sludge drains, clutches don't appear burnt, scarred or "out of place". I have a manual so I have followed it to a T, my instinct says the control unit is to blame here, what say ye?

Re: Tranny--not a sexual orientation thread

Aren’t glendining controls hydraulic?

I d start by disconnecting the control and engage the gear manually to see if the symptoms go away.

Have you smelled the oil?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

How about the filter or the filter screen?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

What Pascal said... maybe it's the Glendinning control, although usually their stuff is very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    How about the filter or the filter screen?
    I haven't pulled the filter screen out but I did remove the two sludge drain plugs and turn the turned it as the manual advises

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Aren’t glendining controls hydraulic?

I d start by disconnecting the control and engage the gear manually to see if the symptoms go away.

Have you smelled the oil?
    correct statement--I'll give that a shot

The oil smells well, "like oil" I'm sending off a sample next week

Im with the cable crowd. You might want to check travel on the cable as well. I have the same set up so interested in what you find out