Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Whale Gulper IC installed

Bought a Whale Gulper IC about 6 months ago to resolve the unsatisfactory “bilge as a shower sump” situation. Finally got around to installing before company arrived last week. Four of them stayed on the boat at the dock, so it got a workout, and worked perfectly. The picture is rotated 90 deg clockwise. You can see the a/c condensate drain entering the IC manifold from the top (actual left) and the shower drain entering from the bottom (actual right). No more wet, musty forward bilge. The aft bilge/sump is tighter, and will be a little more of a challenge, but I’m going to make it work. Assuming it’s reliable (others have attested to that), it seems a much cleaner solution than a sump box, as long as you only have two drains to connect.
    Attached Images
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Whale Gulper IC installed

Mike,

I have been a great fan of the Whale Gulper as a shower pump thus eliminating the sump box. Years ago we had a sailboat with a bath tub and my very young daughters loved taking baths. The sump box could not keep up with the draining bathtub. I switched over to the Whale gulper and have not looked back!

Are you happy using it to pump the AC condensate? I am not familiar with this set up.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Mike,I have been a great fan of the Whale Gulper as a shower pump thus eliminating the sump box. Years ago we had a sailboat with a bath tub and my very young daughters loved taking baths. The sump box could not keep up with the draining bathtub. I switched over to the Whale gulper and have not looked back!Are you happy using it to pump the AC condensate? I am not familiar with this set up.Jon
    Hi Jon; It seems to work great for the condensate line. Actually, the condensate line is the reason I went with the IC water sensing feature. If it was only the shower drain, I would have just piped it direct into a Gulper and used the sump switch in the head while showering. In the aft sump, I’ll use the two ports for the shower and aft deck sink drains.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Bought a Whale Gulper IC about 6 months ago to resolve the unsatisfactory “bilge as a shower sump” situation. Finally got around to installing before company arrived last week. Four of them stayed on the boat at the dock, so it got a workout, and worked perfectly. The picture is rotated 90 deg clockwise. You can see the a/c condensate drain entering the IC manifold from the top (actual left) and the shower drain entering from the bottom (actual right). No more wet, musty forward bilge. The aft bilge/sump is tighter, and will be a little more of a challenge, but I’m going to make it work. Assuming it’s reliable (others have attested to that), it seems a much cleaner solution than a sump box, as long as you only have two drains to connect.
    Can you post a link to this product? This is all I found and it is different:

https://www.defender.com/expanded.js...234&id=1612504
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Can you post a link to this product? This is all I found and it is different:

https://www.defender.com/expanded.js...234&id=1612504
    same product

https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...ey-waste-pumps

how did you wire yours? 12 or 24?

12V, straightforward hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    12V, straightforward hookup.
    Since electricity is my arch nemesis:

if my Rule 2000 32v draws 3.1 amps and the whale gulper 24v pulls 3.25 amps@1m of suction lift with a range of 21.6-27.2 V d.c I'm assuming the gulper would not operate correctly if I were to utilize the Rule's power source?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Since electricity is my arch nemesis:if my Rule 2000 32v draws 3.1 amps and the whale gulper 24v pulls 3.25 amps@1m of suction lift with a range of 21.6-27.2 V d.c I'm assuming the gulper would not operate correctly if I were to utilize the Rule's power source?
    You and I share the same arch nemesis, but I wouldn’t expect that to work well, at least for long (I assume you’re talking about running the Gulper on the existing 32V circuit?). How about a dc-dc converter?

I'll bet you could use one of their grey water tanks with a 32v pump. The switch shouldn't care what voltage it is.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI