Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cruisair heat pump control system problem…I think

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Sky,

One of the reasons I am holding off installing a different type of thermostat at this point is that I did try moving a known functional thermostat from the master state room into the v-berth to see if the thermostat was the whole problem. It was not.

With a thermostat that works fine in another part of the boat, the system in question does not call for the compressor or the seawater pump when in the cooling mode.

I am going to be ringing out wires to see if there is a discontinuity that is causing the trouble.

I was hoping that perhaps someone on the forum would be able to tell me that the problem must be with wire 'X' which calls for cooling from the thermostat.

Can anyone tell me which wires on that thermostat provide what function?

Thanks,
    Nick
    Its in your Hatteras wiring diagrams. I had mine out last when I wired the FX1.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Actually, Sky, I did just that.

I spent today trying to nail down the problem. I started by trying to see if there were any wires that had discontinuities between the thermostat and the PWX box. I didn't find any...

So I dug out the wiring diagrams and was trying to make sense of what I was looking at. I could see a few places where the colors of the wires didn't agree with what was on the diagram, but in one place it looked as though two wires had been swapped. I changed them back to what I saw on the diagram and the system worked (with the one good thermostat I have)!

I believe that the previous owner must have just moved things around trying to get heat out of the system despite the failed thermostat. He put in a timer and set it up so that if the timer called for the system to be on, the system turned on the heat. (Winter - San Francisco)

So, now I know that the system will do what it should with a good thermostat! Since the budget it tight at the moment, I will continue to look for a good (cheap) Honeywell T6052, but may move into the modern age when $$ allow.

Thanks,
    Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Nick,
    Glad you figured it out. If you do go with the FX1, you can remove the PWX box completely and not have to worry about traics and triggers anymore. You can also vary the fan speed and dehumidify and all of that good stuff.

You'll also have spare parts for the other units if you only upgrade one unit at a time.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

All,

As we are still under budget constraints, I have found a NOS Honeywell T6052B thermostat on eBay and installed it. Although it was more expensive than I had hoped, it was still much less than the newer digital controls (that would have been nice to go with).

So, at this point we have the ability to heat and cool...both of which we have needed here in the San Francisco Bay area in the last week!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Post a picture Nick.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty (SEVEN),

As you requested, I am posting a photo.

The new thermostat, installed, and the old (very dead) one leaning against the wall below it.

I don't know what happened to the old thermostat, or where it was when it happened, but the inside looks even worse than the outside does! The panel it was attached to when we purchased the boat looks fine.

Now the system works as it should, but I can't say that I don't feel that the FX1 would be an improvement. (Double negative equals positive, right?)

IMG_7735.jpg

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA