Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ER lighting

New ER lighting

I got tired of having to always have a flashlight to work around the ER so I replaced the (5) 48" double tube fluorescent's with (6) 48" 6500K LED bars. It's very difficult to show the difference but wow, totally worth the $65 and two hours spent to do the swap. One benefit to these is each end has a power inlet so you can add more with an easy plug/play.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GfCPgwDwP7TwJp68
    Last edited by ageless; 09-24-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: New ER lighting

I did that, except I also split three of the four footers up into 24 inchers and spaced them out a bit. There wasn't quite enough room for a 48 and something else; the extra light from the LEDs made that doable. Aside from the extra light at lower draw, the headroom gained alone was worth it.

But there is still a need to better light the aisle between my motors.
    IMG_9853.jpg
    Not quit sure how to do it w/o getting into headroom or casting shadows. I'm thinking there are always just going to be times where you need a good trouble light.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use those LED bars in my garage, wood shop, basement...everywhere there used to be tubes. They are very good.

Are these 110 LED bars?

I did a 50' strand of 12 volt LED rope light all around the perimeter of my 43DC, was probably the best addition made. There are no dark spots (from picture below, realize the floor boards normally over top of engines).

IMG_5848.jpg
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

I installed four 2 foot strip LEDs in each engine room. they are 12 V so I tapped into the engine room lights and used a step down to 12 V. I thought my engine room was really clean until I turned on the new lights. It took me one hour to install the step down and the strip lights then it took me two days to clean the engines.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I installed four 2 foot strip LEDs in each engine room. they are 12 V so I tapped into the engine room lights and used a step down to 12 V. I thought my engine room was really clean until I turned on the new lights. It took me one hour to install the step down and the strip lights then it took me two days to clean the engines.
    I remember spending more than an hour on those lights.
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    I remember spending more than an hour on those lights.
    I only worked an hour but you put in the overtime. lol 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Are these 110 LED bars?
    120 volt

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Aside from the extra light at lower draw, the headroom gained alone was worth it.
    I can't express that enough, as many times as I caught the corner of those fluorescents....

Next will be the DC lighting, at least those head injuries were only internal