Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fire/High Water Alarm Systems

I want to upgrade my current fire/high water alarm system. I have a 1979 53’ Convertible Sportfisherman. There are 5 bilges to monitor and the engine room and interior to monitor. The present system I have does both fire and high water. I am looking for recommendations for a combination unit or two separate fire and high water alarm systems. I live on the vessel full time so I don’t mind spending some money. Thank you.

Re: Fire/High Water Alarm Systems

I redid my bilge pumps and high water system about three years ago on my 53MY

I set up 5 L Shape brackets made out of starboard with a Rule 3700 and float switch on the base plus another float switch attached to the vertical part of the L, above the pump. I then ran wiring harnesses to a custom panel at the lower helm with For each pump a breaker, Manual overrode, green LED to show pump armed, red led to show running and another red LED for high water. Pump running also has a buzzer.

I also have the same breaker, switches and LEDs for the two sump pumps (without high water, for now but I may add one to protect against a failed sump

The panel is fed with a new feed from the house bank.

I know running new harnesses is a pita but I sleep much better at night. Having the panel at the lower helm means it is visible from the salon and galley.

My only regret is that I used Rule switches instead of the more reliable Ultra Switches
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The current system on the 12pt monitor is a very good system, if operable. It has probably 3 high water switches on your boat, plus sensors in each engine room and in every level of the boat under the headliner for fire. Why is this not sufficient?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I did a custom light and control panel for a customer using the 6 channel monitor from ultra with ultra switches for both pump and high water. Added door and fire to the system and then a 140db horn and flasher on the top for signaling.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The current system on the 12pt monitor is a very good system, if operable. It has probably 3 high water switches on your boat, plus sensors in each engine room and in every level of the boat under the headliner for fire. Why is this not sufficient?
    That system is no longer. Present system was installed by previous owner and works; it is just very complicated and finicky.

Maretron sensors, N2K network, can be set up to view while off the boat via Internet. Can view from any display on board. Also, custom alarms and alerts. Mine is set up to count the number of times each bilge pump turns on, and for how long. It let us know we had serious water coming in when about halfway to Key West. Generator raw water pump failed and was spewing sea water. Good system.
    Attached Images

Key alarms should not relay on NMEA2000 or electronics (PLC, etc).

I plan to give this a shot: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEAT-ERAmeg...kAAOSwcuZabhMy

For the price, it can't be beat. I communicated with the guy once or twice a while back, but the greek hosted website seems to not be available. I just sent him a message to see if they are still in business. For $250 it can't be beat. I plan to install 2 with the silence button at each station also silencing the other (upper/lower stations). For $250 you can't make something like that.

I had a PDF of the manual somewhere.

It's very similar to some of the alarm systems that are on ships.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'm also looking at try to implement using inexpensive PLC systems to do boat functions and figure out a way to get them to interface with the NMEA2000 standard. Most industry stuff is modbus.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Key alarms should not relay on NMEA2000 or electronics (PLC, etc)...
    Thanks krush, just curious, is this an insurance or ABYC issue? I've just re-certified my fire suppression system (with flying colors) and had an insurance survey and no one said I should not be running sensors through N2K. As I think about it, the fire suppression function is not dependent on the N2K, I just monitor the status of it through the N2K (maybe that is the distinction). However, the high water and bilge status sensors DO depend on the N2K. Of course the bilge pumps don't rely on the N2K to function. Anyway, I would appreciate any other insight you have in case I need to revisit any of this
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL