Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a 38 to 46 convertible with the lower helm

Hello All:

I just posted on the Tech site about a 43 I was looking at, but thought I might post here for hints and suggestions. I just sold my nice 52C as it was a bit too much for my wife and I. I'm now looking for an older, but very original and nice 38 to 46 with the lower helm option. I know, before anyone says it, that "piloting from the lower helm is not that convenient", but at trolling speeds on the Chesapeake, it's just what I'm after.
    I don't need a fast boat, in fact, I'm fine with slow....and would prefer Detroit naturals or mildly boosted, but not pushed. Came across a boat or two in the past with 903's and was warned away from them.
    Would love suggestions, contacts, etc. Only nice, original and unmolested, if possible. All comments, warnings, etc. appreciated!

Thanks,
    Vince

Re: Looking for a 38 to 46 convertible with the lower helm

The frog-kissing phase starts... hopefully there's a nice one out there. If Hard Shell in Kent Island is not sold, you should look at her, although I don't know if she had a lower helm. Good luck in your search.

Thanks Jim:

I absolutely LOVE Hardshell, but she doesn't have the lower helm. I may consider a boat without the lower ultimately, but even then Hard Shell is a bit pricey for me.....very, very nice though.

Hoping to retire soon....need to pocket a few bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The frog-kissing phase starts... hopefully there's a nice one out there. If Hard Shell in Kent Island is not sold, you should look at her, although I don't know if she had a lower helm. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hello All:

I just posted on the Tech site about a 43 I was looking at, but thought I might post here for hints and suggestions. I just sold my nice 52C as it was a bit too much for my wife and I. I'm now looking for an older, but very original and nice 38 to 46 with the lower helm option. I know, before anyone says it, that "piloting from the lower helm is not that convenient", but at trolling speeds on the Chesapeake, it's just what I'm after.
    I don't need a fast boat, in fact, I'm fine with slow....and would prefer Detroit naturals or mildly boosted, but not pushed. Came across a boat or two in the past with 903's and was warned away from them.
    Would love suggestions, contacts, etc. Only nice, original and unmolested, if possible. All comments, warnings, etc. appreciated!

Thanks,
    Vince
    Hi Vince,
    I have been considering selling my 1978 37C. Mostly original. I had the boat painted 2 years ago. A few updates, new freshwater head this year. Boat is in excellent shape. Powered by J and T 671N's.Approx. 1900 hrs. No smoke. They run excellent. Upgraded the old Onan generator with a 8kw Phasor. Bought her 5 years ago from a pilot in Jacksonville Fl. He had owned her for 15 years, and had bought her from the original owner. Let me know if this sounds like something you might be interested in. I am looking at buying a motoryacht that will fit my family's needs better. If you are interested in a 37, I think it would be worth you while to check mine out. I get compliments wherever we take her. I am located in NC. Thanks , Chris Puryear cpuryear3711@gmail.com 910-231-9359

Hi Chris:

I just missed a 37 in Beaufort NC! I was in the process of selling my boat with an eye on the 37 in NC. I didn't want to take a chance on owning two boats, so I wanted to wait until mine sold. As it turns out, I missed that boat by a day or two. Someone else put a contract on it.

That's on the smaller side, size-wise of what I was looking for, but I like the 37 with lower helm. Let me know what you are willing to sell her for and send me some pictures, if you would be so kind!
    The boat I was looking at had 6-71 Naturals.

Does she have a hardtop? How is the enclosure? These things are pricey!

Thanks,
    Vince

Chris:

Go ahead and PM me! No need to broadcast your business, unless you want to!
    If you want to email me directly, it's: mailbox.vince@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Vince

Quote Originally Posted by chrispuryear View Post
    Hi Vince,
    I have been considering selling my 1978 37C. Mostly original. I had the boat painted 2 years ago. A few updates, new freshwater head this year. Boat is in excellent shape. Powered by J and T 671N's.Approx. 1900 hrs. No smoke. They run excellent. Upgraded the old Onan generator with a 8kw Phasor. Bought her 5 years ago from a pilot in Jacksonville Fl. He had owned her for 15 years, and had bought her from the original owner. Let me know if this sounds like something you might be interested in. I am looking at buying a motoryacht that will fit my family's needs better. If you are interested in a 37, I think it would be worth you while to check mine out. I get compliments wherever we take her. I am located in NC. Thanks , Chris Puryear cpuryear3711@gmail.com 910-231-9359

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Chris:

Go ahead and PM me! No need to broadcast your business, unless you want to!
    If you want to email me directly, it's: mailbox.vince@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Vince
    Hi Vince,

I sent you an email last night with a few pics that I have of my boat. I can take some more at the marina if you are interested in my boat.
    Thanks,
    Chris

It also depends on the model. My 41c rides nice and flat on plane so the lower helm is totally usable. A lower helm was a hard requirement for me too. I like the northwest-coast style of thinking when it comes to boat design.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I haven't been over to PNYH in months, and haven't seen Hard Shell in longer than that, so I can't recall if she's got a bridge enclosure. Obviously you can't add a lower helm, but you could add a bridge enclosure to a boat that doesn't have one, which might make your need for a lower helm a bit less. She has always been a very well kept boat, and always under a shed roof as long as I've seen her around this area. I'm surprised she isn't sold, frankly.

Keep at it, there's one out there with your name on it.

Hard Shell has been gone from Piney for quite a few years. She's somewhere in Edgewater with her current owner.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"