Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Looking for a 38 to 46 convertible with the lower helm

Thanks all!

I have to agree with Krush on the lower helm issue. I've been around boats since they stopped putting lowers on most all East Coast convertibles. The reason they gave was that if a large wave hit the boat offshore, it could break the window and flood the boat....I don't buy it....just put in thicker, safer windows! It's done all the time on commercial boats.

The real reason is two-fold. Firstly, it was grossly more expensive to put in windows that don't leak and an entire lower helm with steering, gauges, switches, etc. The helms disappeared, but the prices stayed the same! The second reason is a little more believable, which is that convertibles got very large and there was simply too much bow to see over......that I can believe.

But for anything below 46 feet, I think a lower helm is a blessing. One just needs to get used to using it. Power out to where you're going from up top, then enjoy the air conditioning or heat down below. Nothing nicer that slowly cruising down the bay on a cold day, with the heat on and a hot pot of coffee on the stove. Pull back the blinds and watch the rods....it don't get any better than that! Gimme a hardtop enclosure and a lower helm....that's perfect!

Well, enough of my pontificating for one day. I wish you all a nice week!

V
    Last edited by Vince; 08-12-2019 at 10:49 AM.

I probably knew about Hard Shell and forgot I knew about her being sold. Wasn't the former owner looking for another Hatteras? That's probably old news, too.....

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I probably knew about Hard Shell and forgot I knew about her being sold. Wasn't the former owner looking for another Hatteras? That's probably old news, too.....
    They bought a Cat powered 1998 54C.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Bump....still in the hunt for convertible with lower helm & very original....42-48”.Decided the 36 to 38’ foot variety are just a bit small for us.

You need to include the 41c in your search. Better efficiency than the 42.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381