Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new wheels

Re: new wheels

I went with Veem Conquest props two years ago. 36" 5 blade nibral. The prior Michigan wheels had been tuned but switching to the Veems made an incredible difference. My 50c with 12v183 MYUs ran SO much smoother and with smoother, it also made a difference in noise. MUCH quieter!

I got the Veem wheels from General Propeller in Bradenton. After running her several times, we think we are probably a inch short on pitch. We ended up losing about a half knot on top end, more or less, but we gain top end revs, which I take to mean she is propped a little loose. I'll find the numbers (most were on a friend's iPhone while I was driving) and post them, sorry about that. They are definitely smoother and less vibration.

As to the cost, the Acme's were significantly more. They were the most expensive, Australs a bit lower, Veem the best deal. Also GP will do one pitch adjustment free this winter when she is hauled.

I am very happy with the service from GP- they were very good to work with.

Jim,

If you're happy with the new cruise performance? I would stay with the current pitch. You have unloaded the engines and your exhaust temps have come down you should get a little bit better fuel efficient and alot less strain on engines. What is your gear ratio?

1.5:1, ZF IRM 220As...

Jim,On the Conquest props did you go with the bronze or nibral? I’m very close to finishing my total refit on our ‘73 36 Convertible. Switched from crusaders to Cummins. I like the numbers you’ve posted and would like to get the same wheels for mine.