Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new wheels

new wheels

We ended up going with Veem Conquest propellers, 21x21, moderate cup, four blades. But them on today- immediately noted that the boat is much smoother, and that midrange speed significantly improved. I have not done full power runs yet, to make sure she is not overpropped, but the early indications are good. These measure the same as the old DQs, but the DAR is bigger, and the overall design more robust with a thicker hub and blade roots. So far, so good. These came from General Propeller in Bradenton, and I have been pleased with the service I have gotten from them.

Re: new wheels

Can't wait to see all the numbers. Including egt before and after.
    Last edited by Finalee; 08-05-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Sure. Interestingly, the EGTs appear to be lower, but I don't have the full set of figures at all rpms yet. But today the boost seemed higher and EGT lower, which are good things.

Glad to hear. Prop technology has improved in the last 10-20 years. I'm going to try a set of ACMEs once I get all my other projects done. I've heard great improvements from people (I have 4blades now)

https://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/6-...ance-gain.html
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Do you have 6BTs in that beast?

Yes, 370 Diamonds. They have been great engines. This seems about the hp limit that should be in this hull, according to people far better informed than myself. The service access is very good, too.

I did look at ACME and Austral propellers, too, but the price on these was better than the others, by quite a bit. And the amount of time that GP spent on the sizing workup was impressive- they asked a lot of questions and were really thorough.

The man at GP is Travis Probst (I know, funny, right?).

I think the ACME test on the Henriques is really interesting. I don't really care about a higher top speed; what I'm interested in is better midrange and cruise performance. The Veem Conquest props are fully CNC machined, and are evidently a more efficient design I'll post more figures and assessment as soon as I have them. No question, propeller design and manufacturing have improved a lot over the last several years.

I believe the acme is quite similar to the veems and about 20% less last time I priced them for a customer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Do your new Veems have the plastic strip thing on them?

I'm a ways off before I start looking anyway. The top end improved, but also the mid range economy went up on the Henriques. My guess is from the extra stern lift the new props gave.

My 41c rides pretty flat, but I still can about 1 to 1.5 knots at cruise just by putting some tab down. With that knowledge, one would think a bit of stern lift from props and no tab use would mean less drag and better efficiency...but only one way to find out (spend the $$$$ lol).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Jim do by chance have the before and after numbers yet?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"