Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

These #%&@ GM heads

I finally got the aft head working consistently for a few weeks until tonight. It empties fine and then a few seconds later it starts bubbling and erupting and filling the bowl back up. Is this an indication of a blockage downstream? I’m getting close to scrapping them. In 15 yrs I never had this kind of trouble with the vacuflush on the Grandbanks.🤬 Argh!
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Re: These #%&@ GM heads

I had similar issue recently. According to GM, the bubbling back into the bowl could be a blockage in the vent line on the back of the toilet. Easy to check and clear. Mine were corroded so I have replaced them. Here is a pic. If bowl is filling back up that is either a restriction downstream or you need to replace the MR-10 stator. Of course mine acted up with family staying on board, but Earnie at GM took the time to explain it. Good luck!
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I don't understand that vent line on the toilet. It runs to the rim of the bowl, correct? Thereby making it impossible to plunge as you just suck air in from the rim.

Ok. What a freaking ordeal! Here’s what I’ve done to finally get three functional heads. First, I snaked all of the lines; then muriatic acid in the lines to clean remaining buildup; then removed vent lines to clear vent lines and vents; removed elbows in top of tank to clear them; then pull pumps and replace after new stators and seals installed (new rotor in one and new intake seal on another and a new selenoid on one as well). Whew! That is what years of neglect from the PO has brought me to...😞. But... it would appear that everything is working as designed and I am currently the Seattle Galley Maid expert...🙄
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

The bubbling up and erupting is a very easy fix. As others mentioned, it's a blocked vent line.. The short 1/4 inch rubber tube on the back. Just replace it and rod out the fittings.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 08-22-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Bob, if you ever get to the point where you’re so frustrated with them don’t throw them away I’ll take Them as parts. I too have become a galley made expert. And when properly maintained you get years of service out of them.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Getting ready to replace all three galley Maid heads on my boat.. Took a look at the system and none of the heads is working so now is a good time. The heads look fairly new but the design of the system and the cost of replacement parts and pumps makes getting rid of this antique equipment a great idea. Looking at Tecma Flex Line heads which seem to be ideal replacement.

Expensive if you have to replace pump motors, true. Why? The motors are pretty much bulletproof. Staters and seals aren’t bad. Wondering if all three not working has more to do with deferred line maintenance.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Still trying to figure out why people replace 3 independent systems with one that is dependent on one pump. Also the seawater flush makes it easy to go offshore for many days without a water maker. The freshwater flush requires just that. I have been on several boats that we had to crap in buckets after day 3 or 4 because the water maker quit and we ran out of fresh water for the toilets. Or the main pump quit and we had no water to flush any toilets. On the galley maid there should always be one working if the others "crap out" on you.

Guess I'm lucky. I've not had any trouble out of mine. I have had to replace e a rotor or stator cup occasionally... 5 minute jib.. and once a guest flushed a piece of a washcloth down that wrapped around the macerator blade.. but compared to the vacuflush system on my last boat.. GM's are fairly bulletproof. I updated the look y going PVC. No plans to change them out.
    Attached Images