Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Windows on a 31C

Looking to see what others have done to make opening thse heavy ass windows easier.
    Attached Images

Re: Windows on a 31C

On my 50MY only the center section opened. It was really heavy, very difficult to reach to open, and was held open only by a slotted bar on each side with screw retainers. I enjoyed the ventilation when open but it was so heavy and the farther bar was so difficult to reach to tighten that I seldom opened the window. It also always leaked a little. Then I removed the troublesome air-operated windshield wipers and replaced them with a clear-view rotating screen which doubled the weight and weakened the glass with its large cut out and drilled mounting bolts. I realized that if the open window ever bounced out of its slots it would slam shut and not only shatter the glass but the screen motor would probably take out the compass as well. When the time came for new window frames I decided to quit while I was ahead and changed to a non-opening frame. The original set up was a disaster waiting to happen.

In good weather we generally have all the windows and doors open along with the bow hatch. If too hot, mosquito-ie or rainy there is always the air conditioner.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

My Chris Craft uses a 12 volt linear actuator to open and close the center section of the windshield. It's fantastic! Push of a button to open and close the window and can't move in any position when open. I've blasted through six footers with that window open and it didn't move a millimeter!

I think it came standard on many Chris Crafts but you can buy something similar from Amazon. See link below:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/1...eb_18424012011

Pretty popular with the Hot Rod guys as they use them to open car doors, deck lids, etc.

You'd have to measure the stroke required and then choose accordingly. Haven't put a tape measure on it but I think the stroke on the actuator on the Chris Craft is around eighteen inches.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I went with a pair of lift struts on each, just the right amount of swing and assist. No straining and slaming.
    Attached Images

Nicely done.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI