Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21

    Re: Stainless Line Guide "Skene Chock" bolt failure

    Been there and it sucks. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and you don't have thirty-six of them.... I remember it vividly and it's more than 20 years ago.

  2. #22

    Re: Stainless Line Guide "Skene Chock" bolt failure

    The update is that I visited Sam’s Marine this am and Ed and Alex helped supplied me with a stainless replacement bolt that will match the chrome over brass one and will be stronger than the OEM bolt. I added a washer and locking nut, just in case.

    As my Homw Depot bits were not up to the task Ed advised me to checkout Macdonalds Hardware in Ft Lauderdale for some higher quality bits. I picked up some expensive ($15) carbide ones that were supposedly the Mac Daddies plus some cutting oil.

    Back to the boat. Made some progress with one carbide bit but broke another. Then off to ACE Harware and picked up an Irwin Stepped Cutting bit (part # 10231)as well as another Irwin combo bit and Easy Out in 5/16. So I feel that the stepped bit alternating with a carbide bit and the 5/16th Irwin bit allowed me to make the most rapid progress along with liberal use of the cutting oil.

    FINALLY, the good news is that I have broken through the bottom of the stuck bolt. And even better than that, I broke through essentially dead center. Frickin amazing.

    So I will continue on from this point drilling out the remainder of the bolt. Next tap for 3/8’s and send the stainless replacement with possible washer and locking but on the backside.

    Mama Mia. I hope the above will help to serve any HOF’er unlucky enough to face this job and save you a little time and trips back and forth to the hardware store. Ttyl


  3. #23

    Re: Stainless Line Guide "Skene Chock" bolt failure

    End Game.

    I continued as above until I completely drilled out the pre-existing chrome over brass 3/8’s bolt. Next I “cleaned” or really cut new threads with an Irwin 3/8’s tap set. I applied Tefgel on the bolt and threads and when the bolt was almost seated, a dab of 5200 as recommended above and then I lightly seated the bolt. Let all the above set for approx 48 hrs and seated the bolt the rest of the way against the 5200 pad. Just to put an exclamation point on the deal, I put 2 washers and a locking nut followed by a dab of Lock Tite.


    I hope I don’t have to do that again anytime soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts