Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boarding ladders

When undocking our Hatteras 53 as a couple is there a small ladderto help me get on the boat after undoing the lines or would you recommend redoing them so they can be released onboardMany times we leave at the crack of dawn before any dockhand arrivesNew to this boat and getting ready for our shakedown cruise New boat ,new routinesAny suggestions would be great

Re: Boarding ladders

I never rely on dockhands as we always double up our lines so we can release from the boat. If not doubled up when coming in, we double them up then remove the stairs. Only trick is to make sure there are no lkinka or knots that can snag between planks or behind a cleat

I do that with my 53 as well as the 84 Lazzara 84 I run, whether alone or my GF

Otherwise you can use a vertical 3 step ladder hand over the toe rail but I just think releasing the boat with someone on the dock whonthen have to climb back up is a lousy idea unless it s dead calm with zero current.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have the ladder that hooks onto the Marquip mounts but since I redid my air vents for the engine rooms I find that they make a perfect step for getting on or off the boat at the gates. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

What Pascal said. A midship breast line is all you need most of the time. Rig it before you cast off the other lines; use 2 cleat hitches on the boat instead of the loop, keeping the working end as short as possible to avoid tangling if you have to cast it onto the dock - most times you can just hold both ends, and flip the line off the cleat. Even easier if you have just one turn around a piling. Have The Admiral practice a few times at your home dock when you’re not actually trying to get away.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL