Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

This Old Boat Trivia

The boat is my 1976 58' LRC... was cleaning the engine room bilge over the weekend and saw this device.... I'm pretty sure I know what it is... likley some of the more seasoned old Hatt gurus have also seen them... but I thought I would offer it up as a fun trivia question.... what is it??
    (it's the device mounted on the back portion of the bilge....NOT the seacock)

Anyone have any details on it??

You have to visually rotate the pic 90 degrees clockwise...

Bilge High Water Alarm Switch.jpg
    Last edited by JD5652; 07-31-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: This Old Boat Trivia

That's the Flux Capacitor.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

high water alarm

Ding!... Ding!.... Ding!.... Doc G got it !....

I'm assuming that the "ball" is filled with mercury and the two wires that penetrate the ball go to electrodes internally... when the ball floats on its side the mercury "makes" the circuit and closes the contact....

Interesting design…

Right now these are not active on my boat as one of the previous owners removed the Hatteras Alarm panel..... I hope that the wiring is still in tact.... I'll likely go with a Maretron Integrated System at some point...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I was wondering where that golf ball went. Seriously it’s a high water alarm.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California