Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Blowing Out the Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    It's not about the turbos. It's about getting carbon out of the cylinders.
    Ok, if we want carbon out of the cylinders instead of the turbos, what would we do differently?

Nothing. Somebody was wondering if turbos ever need to be replaced from not being spooled up often enough.

Loading the engine is to burn off the soft soot in the cylinders that comes from prolonged light load operation. The turbos aren't really affected by that.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Offered for visual reference only, no claims as to cause or prevention as the cylinder shown is from a bus. “Bus Greasemonkey” is a often informative series of videos on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtaBzPgeKPI
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    Offered for visual reference only, no claims as to cause or prevention as the cylinder shown is from a bus. “Bus Greasemonkey” is a often informative series of videos on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KtaBzPgeKPI
    That was helpful. The link also lead to a similar conversation on The Hull Truth. There it was suggested that 8-92's be run up to 1950 rpm for 5 minutes each day.

I thought the reason was to get the oil hot enough to burn off the condensation and other impurities.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

If your engine isn't operating at temp a five minute blast isn't going to do it. When you're "cruising" at hull speed you still need to keep the coolant temps up.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Yes, 5 minutes is not long enough. I like 1/2 hour at 1950 RPM once a week if we are traveling every day. It is also a good way to monitor the condition of the raw water cooling system. We cruise at 1000/1050 rpm @ 10 mph so we are getting pretty good economy thus we really notice the burn at 1950!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

8. Re: Blowing Out the Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Yes, 5 minutes is not long enough. I like 1/2 hour at 1950 RPM once a week if we are traveling every day. It is also a good way to monitor the condition of the raw water cooling system. We cruise at 1000/1050 rpm @ 10 mph so we are getting pretty good economy thus we really notice the burn at 1950!
    This.

Don't let them get to 195 degrees. Not even for a second. 185 degrees is about right at 1950 -2000 RPM for a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I was just about to mention that. On many boats especially underpowered older MY 1700 isn’t a good speed as the boat is unlikely to be in plane. Not sure about yours...

That said while it s good idea to run then up after a long day of slow running, hull speed is usually enough to keep the engines at normal operating temp reducing issues associating with cool running
    Maybe with some boats but a 55 convertible with 12V71's run at hull speed won't get up to temp. Im usually 160 max at 9.5 knots. Put her on plane and I get to temp of 180-185. If 160 is the temp I need to get to to reduce issues then I wouldn't ever need to get my boat above 900-1000 RPM. My Detroit/Covington manuals say otherwise

So I run 800 or so RPM 9 MPH or 8 KTS. Temp is always just slightly under running on plane temp. Ran 26 SM this weekend. Am I good? Can it wait till I am not towing dink to run it up? So confusing. And coolant temp has little to do with true internal core and oil temp.

I agree with what many say, that no one ever wore one out from low RPM use. But also agree they need to be run up to temp over a decent period to run clean and have no moisture internally in the oil system.

Also a big believer in "use it or loose it"! let any marine engine of any type or fuel lay dormant too long and it will have issues. To me the cheapest, best, and certainly most fun way to maintain these is to simply burn some fuel.