Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Blowing Out the Turbos

Most my cruising is at hull speed.

My boat has 8-92's with a design WOT of 2300. I know the turbos need to be spooled up every so often, but nowhere is it written how often, to what RPM and for how long.

My last long trip (30 hours at 1300 rpm), I ended with a run up to 1700 RPM for 15 minutes. I really don't know if this was enough.

Suggestions?

Re: Blowing Out the Turbos

Should be if it's done daily. It's to burn off excess fuel and oil deposits.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Should be if it's done daily. It's to burn off excess fuel and oil deposits.
    Yes but to what RPM and for how long?

1700 should be fine. It's not like you have a rocket sled there. Just getting them up to full temp for 15 minutes should be fine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I read somewhere, perhaps in the DD operators manual, to avoid long low power operation and to run it up for at least 20 minutes every 4 hours of operation.

I would guess 1700 rpm would be just about starting to get on plane (high boost and EGT) and putting a lot of stress on the engines you'd be better running up WOT and backing it back to 2000 .....Pat

I was just about to mention that. On many boats especially underpowered older MY 1700 isn’t a good speed as the boat is unlikely to be in plane. Not sure about yours...

That said while it s good idea to run then up after a long day of slow running, hull speed is usually enough to keep the engines at normal operating temp reducing issues associating with cool running
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Let's here the other side of this from folks that do not run them up periodically. Anyone had to replace a turbo because they ran them too easy?
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Here on Sydney Harbour we would swamp 80% of boats if we went at 2000RPM. So we potter about at 900RPM and then 4 times a year get the opportunity to go to 1300RPM which we do until there is no blue smoke. Maybe 10 minutes is enough.

After 16 years owning 8V92s and now 12V71s I'm a big believer in chemical help and use decarboniser in the fuel and oil flush. A big improvement came when we changed the Walker Air Seps for new.

See www.costefective.com.au..... they have an American distributor. Hocus Pocus? No... these chemicals were originally made for mining industry machinery. Worth a look.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

It's not about the turbos. It's about getting carbon out of the cylinders.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375