Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
As far as engine and generator choices, that's to some extent guided by what dealers you have in OZ and who will service them. All other things being equal, most people here would probably recommend Cummins M11s. Here in the USA, they are available on a factory 'reman' program which saves you some money. Cummins diesels are very reliable and they have been in the marine market for a very long time. If the original Detroits are in good shape and run well, you might want to just clean up the engine room and keep them. Are they healthy?Most important- have you guys done this kind of thing before? These are fairly complex boats and everything on them is old now...Have fun with it all. Hatteras Yachts are very well made, and since you are down under, you won't see yourself coming and going all the time...
Hi Jim,Thanks for your message. We do have all the major engine manufacturers here and from what I know now cats/Volvo’s / Cummins/ would cost us about 160 k au and the yanmars would be about 40 k cheaper. We don’t want to spend this amount of money. We intend purchasing older engines / 8v 92 Detroit’s or we think that 60 series Detroit’s may be good ?? Whatever we get we will 100 % recondition so we don’t have any problems in the future. We are open for suggestions though. The 8v 71 need rebuilding and as you know very thirsty. I own an engineering company and I’m a Deisel mechanic by trade and Mick D the other owner has experience in medical gas and equipment installation and has done quite a bit of spray painting etc, so we should have most of the skills required.Regards Mick C