Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

46 Convertible refit begins

Hi All,The dream of refitting the 46 became a reality yesterday when we finally put the old girl on a hard stand in western Sydney. My friend Mick D and I are joint owners of the boat and we intend on doing most of the work ourselves.Our plan is to repower and completely refit the boat including rewire and complete fitout. At this stage we are assuming a 3 year project but would hope to do it again in 2. We are now focused on planing the refit and deciding on engine options and all other aspects on the boat. We would appreciate any feedback from you guys in relation to any ideas or advice on this build.I’m not familiar with forums so bare with me as I will try and post some photos and videos for you guys to see.Looking forward to the journey and I would like to share it with some like minded people. Regards Mick C and twin Detroit’s ( Mick D )

Re: 46 Convertible refit Sydney photos

Hi all,Some more photos

Re: 46 Convertible refit begins

Dont do anything until you have a plan. It's not the best idea to start without a complete plan.

Engines depend on what you want in performance and the hull will need mods to go to higher HP engines.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Cool Re: 46 Convertible refit begins

Have loads of fun guys.

P

As far as engine and generator choices, that's to some extent guided by what dealers you have in OZ and who will service them. All other things being equal, most people here would probably recommend Cummins M11s. Here in the USA, they are available on a factory 'reman' program which saves you some money. Cummins diesels are very reliable and they have been in the marine market for a very long time.

If the original Detroits are in good shape and run well, you might want to just clean up the engine room and keep them. Are they healthy?

Most important- have you guys done this kind of thing before? These are fairly complex boats and everything on them is old now...

Have fun with it all. Hatteras Yachts are very well made, and since you are down under, you won't see yourself coming and going all the time...

If you guys are in Sydney Au. You should get in touch with Scott in Sydney on this site. He is in the process of rehabbing a Hatteras Motor Yacht and has a lot of contacts in the marine industry, and besides he a nice guy. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have a 1974 46C that we redid. The Hatteras electrical wiring is very robust and I would investigate fully before ripping any of it out. We redid some wiring from the wiring blocks to the use for the wiring. We put digital voltage & amp gauges on the electric panel after we moved it from the floor of the salon to the top of the narrow closet going down the steps to below.20171024_142144.jpg20180911_091256.jpg20180911_113019.jpg20171024_142144.jpg20180911_091256.jpg20180911_113019.jpg
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I take it that you’re trucking the boat somewhere since you removed the bridge. What is the budget for the refit? Take plenty of pictures, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Dont do anything until you have a plan. It's not the best idea to start without a complete plan.Engines depend on what you want in performance and the hull will need mods to go to higher HP engines.
    Hi Sam,We have a reasonably good plan so far. We only require the boat to be a harbour cruiser so we don’t have any real intention to take it off shore for fishing etc but we will need it to be able to cruise up the coast on the odd occasion. We were thinking of Detroit 60 series engines which should give us 600 or 700 hp depending on how we rebuild them? We are open for suggestions though.

Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    Have loads of fun guys. P
    Thanks for that. We are pretty excited about it.