Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Davit Keeps Tripping Breaker

This is a new issue so I doubt I am overloading the weight rating.

Either a bad breaker, corroded wiring or the motor is wearing out.

How do I figure out where to start?

Re: Davit Keeps Tripping Breaker

Every boat should have a good meter on it. Buy $60 amp probe meter and measure the draw. If high could be from the motor “load” or a bad connection.

Does it pop right away or does it run a little. If so how long.

I ve got say that i be pretty much never had a breaker tripping because of the breaker.

Could also be the remote shorting out. They often take a beating.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Also check how hot is the breaker getting. Rare yes, but certainly the breakers do go bad. Again the amp probe will help.

My Galley Maid was tripping breaker and I had a post here about it. I found the gear box was full of water not oil but that wasn't my issue. My up/down was not labeled. The guys were hitting the down button instead of up. It is not designed to run very long in the down position and when dropping anchor with the windlass you are supposed to loosen the nut. I labeled the buttons and when using the up button it hasn't thrown since.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Does it pop right away or does it run a little. If so how long.
    Never trips while lowering but it goes 60% up and pop, then another 20% and pop, then 10% pop.

If I give it a minute rest between expected trips, I can avoid having to reset the breaker.

So it is either the motor or the breaker. Have someone look at the amp meter on the panel while raising and see how many amp it s pulling. If the amp stays the same then it s the breaker If amps go up before it trips then it s the motor
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

How is the battery voltage? Low voltage could lead to this. Is this AC or DC? Everything lubbed up?
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 07-22-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Regards
    Dan

I would look for corroded or loose connections. It sounds like maybe some high resistance somewhere between the breaker and the motor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    How is the battery voltage? Low voltage could lead to this. Is this AC or DC? Everything lubbed up?
    It's 12 vdc. Battery's are 2 months old. I even have the charger running when operating the Davit for an extra boost.

Suspect the issue is between the breaker and the motor.