Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Low sulphur fuel

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    Sky - I too have been using the Diesel Kleen - 1 gallon per 100 gallons of diesel - what mixture ratio are you using?
    I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but did do quite a bit of research prior to deciding on 2 cycle tcw3 as the additive of choice for my situation.

From my understanding diesel kleen is primarily a fuel system cleaner. It cleans deposits from injectors and injector pumps (which detroits do not have).

It does appear to have some lubricating qualities but is not the primary purpose of the product.

Generally speaking our old detroits do not suffer from becoming 'dirty' or clogged fuel systems b/c we have 2-3 filters upstream of the engine that seem to handle any junk/gunk that can clog an injector.

While i do not think diesel kleen is bad or shouldn't be used I do not feel it completely addresses the lubricity issues caused by low sulfur fuel.

If you want to use diesel kleen I believe I would use an additional additive for more lubricity.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Do modern four-cycle diesel engines need additives when you are operating them on low-sulfur diesel?

I use DK in at the recommended dosage in my boat, my truck, and all of my construction equipment at the quarry. We've used it ever since ULSD came out with no fuel system issues on any of the equipment.

I really don't think this lack of lubricity is much of an issue. Do you ever hear of any truckers complaining about failures? If it was truly a problem we'd be hearing about issues by now.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Do modern four-cycle diesel engines need additives when you are operating them on low-sulfur diesel?
    Absolutely. And the electronic ones even more so.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Most recreational boaters don't put enough hours on to worry about any of this yet here we are worrying and discussing the issue.

As I sit here and think about it, I realize that its probably the owner of the dock queen that never even goes through one tank of fuel per season that is worrying about lubricity. As an old mechanic that used to work for us used to say, "don't worry about it, JUST RUN 'EM." And he's probably right. Lack of use is likely a bigger enemy than proper fuel additives or most of the other things we discuss about these engines. At 100-150hrs/year, I probably fall into this category as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I think your point is well taken, but we're all doing all the boating we can, I suspect. I am trying to reduce my work hours so I can spend more time with my boat and my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Most recreational boaters don't put enough hours on to worry about any of this yet here we are worrying and discussing the issue.

As I sit here and think about it, I realize that its probably the owner of the dock queen that never even goes through one tank of fuel per season that is worrying about lubricity. As an old mechanic that used to work for us used to say, "don't worry about it, JUST RUN 'EM." And he's probably right. Lack of use is likely a bigger enemy than proper fuel additives or most of the other things we discuss about these engines. At 100-150hrs/year, I probably fall into this category as well.
    mmmm... maybe 'most' but I assure you there are several here that put plenty of hours on their boats and should absolutely worry about these types of issues and doing everything possible to extend the amount of hours between rebuilds. Instead of one tank of fuel per season, we go through a tank in a weekend.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    mmmm... maybe 'most' but I assure you there are several here that put plenty of hours on their boats and should absolutely worry about these types of issues and doing everything possible to extend the amount of hours between rebuilds. Instead of one tank of fuel per season, we go through a tank in a weekend.
    Fifty thousand gallons a year? I’ll bet you’re on every oil company’s Christmas card list.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Fifty thousand gallons a year? I’ll bet you’re on every oil company’s Christmas card list.
    I WISH I had time to burn that much fuel!! haha, never said we do it every weekend, but yeah, when we fish we burn right at 1k gals per trip. Last year we did about 6-8 trips I believe, plus nearshore weekends with the wife/family. I easy burned north of 10k gals last year.

..... and yes, they did give me a free koozie last time I filled up lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 07-26-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL