Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anchor windless

Anchor windless

Good morning, I am in the market for a new anchor windless for my 45c. What’s currently on the boat is an undersized free fall windlass and the gears apear to have stripped on me this weekend. My questions are, should I stay with a free fall windless or move onto something different? I like being able to run the anchor from the cockpit, do other types allow this? Thanks Duncan.

Re: Anchor windless

Not sure what you mean by “run the anchor from the cockpit”

Are you talking about running the anchor rode from the pulpit back to the cockpit to anchor from the stern? Or did you mean run/control the windlass from the cockpit. But then why would you want to?

I like controlling the windlass from the helm so I can assist with the engines when hauling anchor as well as control the boat while dropping. To avoid running wires, there are a number of wireless remotes that can be used
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes I am looking to run it from the helm.

Then isntall a windlass with power down and either run 3 wires to the helm or install a wireless remote

Look up Lewmar windlass remote. Depending on layout you may need the optional antenna
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've got both the helm station control and a handheld wireless remote for the windlass on my Chris Craft in addition to standard foot switches on deck at the unit. Controls and windlass are all Lewmar.

I like the helm station control because it tells me how many feet of anchor rode have been payed out as well as allowing me to assist with gas and gears if/when necessary. Usually use the handheld remote at the bow until the anchor is at the bottom and then move to the helm to see what I need for a rode and give the line a pull in gear to get it set.

Had really good luck with Lewmar however don't have any complaints with the Galley Maid either on the Hatt. It has deck and helm station controls but no read out for scope.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Thanks for the advice, I am getting quotes now.

Have maxwell RC12 1/2” chain and 3/4” rode, helm switch plus wireless. The wireless does it all anywhere on the boat with all the info required US or metric.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just pulled the old GM out that thing weighs a ton... replacing with a Lofrans 1500. Should be done by the end of the week. I'll let you know how I like it

It weighs a ton but last decades...I just had mine rebuilt by GM and glad I did. On most MY with the thick pulpits the shaft has to be much longer than the stock windlass making it hard to replace anyway
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I kind of like horizontal windlasses for many reasons. All the stuff is outside and easy to maintain. It may get wet, but it also dries out.
    It looks more yacht like. And fewer and smaller holes made in the deck.

Check eBay for used lofrans units. I think all the parts can be bought to repair them.

https://www.lofrans.com/category/4-L...nchor-windlass
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381