Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Replace EMP with Lightning strike. Now imagine you get caught offshore in a bad thunderstorm when you get hit. Which engines do you want now?
    That's a pretty easy answer.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Changing interior soft goods etc isn't very expensive. But changing a painted wood interior to finished wooden paneling like most older Hatteras yachts have or had is VERY expensive. The materials and means are out there, but the cost is formidable. And since most of your boating time is spent inside the boat, don't buy a boat with an interior you detest.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Replace EMP with Lightning strike. Now imagine you get caught offshore in a bad thunderstorm when you get hit. Which engines do you want now?
    That's a pretty easy answer under those conditions
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

EMP attack mitigation: Install air starter. Yes, the compressor motor won't work either. Use bicycle pump. May take a while.

Boatsb: I have the ISB340 6.7 with Allison 2500 in my 30,000 pound diesel pusher. 68 mph for 35,000 miles now at 9.17 mpg. Fresh oil every 10,000 miles, clean fuel, clean air and clean radiator/CAC. Just keeps on trucking. Love that motor.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Regarding the EMP, Detroit made a hydraulic start system. Hydraulic starter, engine mounted pump ,accumulator, and a manual pump. Starter can turn in either direction. You could get by without the engine pump if you only used this system in an emergency. However, I have only seen the accumulator for sale . The only hydraulic starter that I have seen for sale was for a 4-71.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

It's been along time ago, but I recall getting my hands on an stationary DD with an air starter and the reserve air tank I believe was charged off the engine from start to start. I cant remember what you did if the air tank became empty with the engine not running.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    It's been along time ago, but I recall getting my hands on an stationary DD with an air starter and the reserve air tank I believe was charged off the engine from start to start. I cant remember what you did if the air tank became empty with the engine not running.
    In hazardous areas on offshore production platforms, electric start was not allowed. We used either air start or hydraulic start. The hydraulic start systems was manually pumped up reservoir then flip a valve to start. These systems charged the hydraulic reservoir when running.
    I've never seen an air start system recharge itself, unless the engine had an air compressor mounted on the it.
    Cranes that turned on a pedestal had issues with the air system staying in service due to crappy slip ring systems for air and power. So the hydraulic systems worked great. I've never seen anything bigger than a Detroit 6V71 on hydraulics.

As a young kid, most all oilfield boats up to 150 ft or so had DD's or Cat and very few Mercedes. Larger ones had some big Cats or EMD's before the pollution thing hit them too. All boats had DD generators because they ran 7 days straight at 1800 rpms, then swapped to the other gen so maintenance could be done on the gen just shut down. They were loud and leaked, but very reliable. Again, the EPA regulations killed the generator applications. But, the EPA didn't restrict service company engines and equipment for oilfield applications. Detroits are highly sought after because of the hydraulic starters and no power needed on the pump skids. Just pump up the reservoir and open the start valve. She will run till out of fuel.

I have no issues with the loud obnoxious 853N beasts under my salon floor, they are not fast but they are very reliable. Since 1966, the only thing that has stopped them from starting was dead batteries.

Not strictly on topic, but sort of:

I spent a few weeks at Norshipco in Norfolk when I was a resident- we had a community medicine rotation and I spent it in the shipyard. One of the things I saw was a fairly good-sized ship with a single huge engine that ran on bunker oil. The starter was an 8v-92 Detroit. IIRC, they used to light a fire in the combustion chambers in some of those big engines to preheat them before cranking them, but I didn't actually see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

...... I'd love the smoother, quieter and more efficient engines. They have less exhaust smell too.
    What??? I love the smell of DD"s in the morning, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    What??? I love the smell of DD"s in the morning, LOL
    I prefer the smell of bacon
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI