Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/hatteras-convertible-3621498/

This 52 has Volvo's, but I cant get over the painted interior wood.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Interior is cheaper than repowers. I'd think it was worth considering if the cosmetics need to be done anyway.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Overheating them.
    This is true of most marine engines, and for that matter most engines. It's murder!
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Don't be afraid of 8-92's at 1500 hours. I have a pair, 2800 hours, pumped to 735 hp and they run flawlessly

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Does your daily driver automobile have a carburetor? Do you use a rotary dial phone? Are you reading this message I wrote on a CRT tube monitor?

Detroits are old, they leak, they are loud, and they use more fuel. All that can be ignored. But also, they are getting more difficult to get decent parts for (and prices will continue to go up).

Some new engine designs are junk and break a lot. But a few models are super reliable (cummins m11, 8.3, 6.7...cat 3406, c18,c32). Some of the cummins can still be had 100% mechanical. The difference in performance, fuel efficiency, and lower cost is amazing. DD lovers also forget that most of these modern engines will easily do 5,000-10,000hours or more before rebuilds if used properly (and that is on plane, not hullspeed).

But when North Korea does the low altitude nuke detonation and fries all the computers with an EMP my Detroit’s will still run
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    But when North Korea does the low altitude nuke detonation and fries all the computers with an EMP my Detroit’s will still run
    Neither will you if you got your hearing aides in.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but unless your DD's have a pull start rope as backup, you're not going very far. An EMP will fry the windings on your starter. Even if you over come that, you're only going as far as the on board fuel will take you.

The only way to win a nuke war is never to engage in one.

Cool Re: If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but unless your DD's have a pull start rope as backup, you're not going very far. An EMP will fry the windings on your starter. Even if you over come that, you're only going as far as the on board fuel will take you.

The only way to win a nuke war is never to engage in one.
    Got that covered. We just bump start ours. Just need to get it to the top of a hill.

Replace EMP with Lightning strike. Now imagine you get caught offshore in a bad thunderstorm when you get hit. Which engines do you want now?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I've had the 6.7 in a truck for years and I love the engine. Smoother, quieter and more efficient than the old 5.9 12 or 24 valve.

I had to go over the emission systems at 270k miles. I believe the po did clean the egr before I got her but overall a great running engine.

Its Interesting how it becomes less efficient when the pollution crap needs maintenance. It's also a drag on efficiency but I get about 23 mpg on the highway with 2x the power of the 5.9. Its certainly progress just not 100% since it would probably get 30 mpg without the tree hugger crap.

I'd be quick to embrace the newer technology over Detroit's in my boat. I'd love the smoother, quieter and more efficient engines. They have less exhaust smell too.

This is why people repower. I'd not throw out running detroits but I'd be happier with newer more modern engines.

Remember some of the higher hp engines do require significant maintenance. As do the cranked up Detroits.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.