Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Good post Jim...... I think that to say that one type of engine (or brand) makes the most sense forall boaters is wrong. As I stated in my earlier post, everything depends on the owners preferred use ofhis boat and his need for speed. With all due respect the Cummins engines that you have are an excellentchoice for your boat and the way you choose to use it. Not so with the boater that just wants to amblealong slowly and rarely goes above displacement speeds. As far as economy is concerned, there is noquestion that the newer engines are more economical to run, but you need to put a lot of gallons throughthem to justify their cost over the older Detroit's. These points have been discussed on this forum manytimes in the past and I think we all agree that there are so many governing factors to digest while tryingto decide what's best for your use. I think the most important deciding factor is what will it take to makeme happy with my boat and how much am I willing to pay for that happiness..... Walt
    This is spot on, our boat is in need of some cosmetic, cosmetics were not high on my priority list. For us we wanted everything to work as advertised, and we wanted to avoid any major engine work as long as we own her. So for us 8/71 naturals with low hours fit the bill.

The idea was to buy a boat that somebody else has repowered. Sure, a 2stroke boat will work fine and operate great for many years, but if given the option for modern power when shopping for a boat, go for it!

The ease of access to do maintenance with inline engines vs the V-detroits is worth it if nothing else.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The idea was to buy a boat that somebody else has repowered. Sure, a 2stroke boat will work fine and operate great for many years, but if given the option for modern power when shopping for a boat, go for it!The ease of access to do maintenance with inline engines vs the V-detroits is worth it if nothing else.
    He has a budget of 250k and that amount of money will get a very nice repowered boat. The thread as many do went a little sideways.

Again thanks for all of the advice. I really like the recommendation of looking at each boat as a sum of its parts. With that being said, I am looking for a weekend live aboard family cruiser. I say that because I see some repowered smaller 41-43 convertibles, but not any 48-53 boats that still have an nice interior and a repower in the 250K range. I do see some boats with really nice interiors in the 189-225K range, but they have 8V92's with recent SMOH advertised.

There are a lot of boats with 100-1500hrs SMOH in their listing.
    What is usually the failure in the 8V92's that require a overhaul???

Thanks,
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 10-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Overheating them.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I am considering a few boats, all are late 80s-48-52Cs.

One has rebuilt 8v92s 735hp DD's with 1500hrs, One has early 2000s Volvos D12 715hp with 1000hrs, and last one has early 2000s Cats 3406e 800hp with over 2000 hours.

With all else being equal what would YOU pay extra or less for each engine combination with the quoted hours. At this point all were professional installed or rebuilt and maintained???

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I just crawled out of a 52 with detroits. Take it off the list.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

When the time comes (soon) it will have mechanical turbo DD's in there. (71 or 92 no matter) I do my own work, and have been reading the books on them and watching countless videos on the MCI/GM bus people working on them. I really like the look and feel of them from a mechanics stand point.

There isn't nearly the info out there on the CAT's or the Volvos. And parts for the latter are very expensive.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The Cats are 14.6L engines so you're squeezing less hp per liter of displacement from those. The other 2 are 12L engines.

I run mostly Cats and Volvos and some John Deeres in my construction equipment. All are good, but I'm still partial to the older Cats.
    '
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hello, I'm curious which boat has the Volvos d12 engines. I looked at a 52 a few years ago near Jensen Beach that was repowered with them, it could be the same boat.

Walt Hoover