Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

Thanks for any replys, comments, or suggestions.

I am a long time fan of Hatteras Boats that goes back to my childhood with memories of chartered fishing trips on the gulf. I have always owned some type of boat, which all have been 24ft and under. This year I will be 50, my wife is close behind, and my daughter will graduate college. As of late we really have gotten the Big Boat bug. My wife just wants a boat, but I keep coming back to a Hatt. In my mind a boat needs to be capable of cruising at least 20mph, sleep 4 adults, and have a lot of wood on the inside. While I know there are tons of things to consider, I don't find myself looking at anything that doesn't meet those three requirements. For years I was in love with the 53 MY until I spent a lot of time in one on the water. Now I really seem to prefer something with a cockpit to allow easier interaction with guests, water, and toys. The boat will have a home port in Tennessee and for the next 5-6 years it would be limited to weekend and trips of 5-8 days. Long term I would love to do Chicago, the Gulf, but not sure about ever really wanting to do a loop. My dream boat would be a very clean, updated, and maintained late 80s 48-52 Convertible in the 200,000 range with reserve for a single engine overhaul if one failed, but my other side says maybe a 42-46 Fast Trawler with more modern engines and push the budget closer to 250,000 with little reserve.

Are Hatts with DD's as bad $$$ as everyone makes them out to be??
    Last edited by Eddieclemons; 07-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: If you were starting all over, would you buy a Hatt with DD engines again??

For the use that I see in the future for me and the use you are discussing I still think the DDs are not a bad choice at least for my 41' C (8v53s). They are really simple and reliable compared to modern day turbo common rail stuff. If they start, they run. They may start to smoke a bit when they are cold but they run.I have brought them home from the Bahamas running on 7 and routing fuel from that cylinder.I have even rebuilt them in the boat once myself.
    I'm planning a Great Loop trip 2021-22 and I will be happy with them I think.

Now if I was putting real hours on the boat with big offshore trips, I would be looking for another option. As far as the $$$ go, for the less than 300 hr per year boat they are great value.

And I just love the sound! Classic boat, Classic sound. Would you put a LS motor in a SS 396 Camaro just to get better gas mileage and miss out on that big block thump?

Its affordable to get the newer in the older hatts as zo many have been repowered. If I was looking today I'd want current cummins in my 41c. The 450c or even the 6.7b would be my choice . Some hull modifications would be required for the extra HP.

A customer just pulled detroits from a 42 ocean and replaced them with cats. Heavier and lower hp than the cummins but still outperform the detroits by along shot at only 15 hp more per side.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I agree with Barebone on the Detroits, they are easy to maintain and if you need to overhaul they can be done right in the boat. You won't be sorry going with Detroits.

My wife and I look at this 58 Hatteras Cockpit yacht two years ago when it was in Longboat Key and the pictures don't do it justice. She is a beauty. I got cancer and now she has stage 4 renal disease so we are no longer looking. I don't remember the owners name or I'd PM you with it. I sure recommend you take a look at it though.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...yacht-3506831/
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Byron,

I am sorry to hear about your health, I will praying for you and your family.

Eddie
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I didn't see "buy a brand new Hatteras 70GT" in the choices....
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

IMHO, the non-DDEC Detroits are wonderful engines. Reliable, easy to maintain, and repair parts are inexpensive and readily available. Perhaps not the most fuel efficient choice, but looking at total cost.. acquisition, maintenance, longevity, reliability, and repair cost.. they're hard to beat.

200-300k can get you a non-detroit hatteras if you get a deal (or wait for the upcoming crash lol). I would never own a hatteras with DD 2smokes. There are plenty of other options these days.

The late 1990's 50c started to have Cats in them.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    200-300k can get you a non-detroit hatteras if you get a deal (or wait for the upcoming crash lol). I would never own a hatteras with DD 2smokes. There are plenty of other options these days.

The late 1990's 50c started to have Cats in them.
    I crashed myself in 2009 so I didn't spend too much time looking at boats. What did the Hatteras inventory and prices do during that era? My current income won't be effected next time.

Can you give me a couple of reasons for not owning a DD boat?

Thanks for the comments.

I had some tired 8-71’s in a 46 Bertram years ago. Smoked like crazy starting up. They made full RPM and ran great.

No I have a 46 HP with perfect condition low hour 8-92’s that have zero smoke on startup. They also run great.

I prefer the older mechanically injected engines over today’s electronic controlled ones. Yes it may be hard to find a good DD mechanic but you will over time. Rather do that then have electronic issues and a “mechanic “ that only plugs in and fixes what the computer tells him to fix and overlooks real mechanical issues.

So it’s really just up to you and what path you want to go down. I recommend a DD boat. Take the money you save on purchase due to “outdated engines “ and spend it on a comprehensive maintenance plan. Try to find documented low hour proper rebuilt engines that pass survey using qualified DD mechanic. Another possibility is finding a nice boat with a failed engine. Should be able in today’s market buy low enough to do true full rebuilds on both and start out with “new” engines.

IMHO