Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: price gouging?

price gouging?

OK, this sort of soapboxing is usually reserved for others, but I will be brief:

I bought a bottle of Collinite Fleetwax Cleaner/Wax at the Annapolis WM on Saturday. Nearly fainted at the checkout- over $26 with tax. So high that I asked them to check the price. Not a mistake. It never took two twenties to buy an 8oz bottle of wax before- or eight ounces of anything else I can think of, for that matter. This stuff used to be $14 a bottle or so. A year ago. At that price I should be waxing the boat with Scotch. Or Mount Gay.

So yesterday I looked around on the net- same stuff for sale for $16, at several places. OK, it's on line- but on WM web site it's still $25. Plus tax, shipping, etc, depending on where you are. So that's apples versus apples.

When WM bought BoatUS it occurred to me that prices of things would go up. They have. And, as WM phases out BoatUS stores, the upward march of prices seems to continue. It appears that you can always tell when you're going to be charged list price for anything. How? Easy- they put the word "ONLY!" in front of the price.

I don't argue with the idea that retailers have to make a profit. They have expenses, too, to meet. They have to floor-plan a lot of stock in the hopes that they've picked right and that people will buy it. I know all that. However, WM has as much buying power as anyone in the retail marine industry, and they have to be buying the 8oz bottle as cheaply as anybody else, probably more cheaply than some. So why don't they pass some of that buying power etc along to their customers?

Folks I have spoken with in the manufacturing end of the marine industry report that WM is quite aggressive with their suppliers about getting the best possible price from them. Sort of like the other "WM". However, unlike the other "WM", we don't seem to get the benefit of their aggressive purchasing posture.

Fortunately, at least here in Annapolis, we have a few choices. Including a locally-owned company (Fawcett's) that is trying to compete with the FIVE WM stores in the area. Plus Boater's World. Meanwhile, I encourage everyone on this forum who feels that the phrase "extra money" is oxymoronic (or maybe just plain moronic) to shop carefully, and vote with their feet. It's still, as we used to say in the playground, a free country.

2. Re: price gouging?

Yep.

I mail order when I can and tell them why. Around here BW is actually more expensive on many things than West.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: price gouging?

I just purchased 3 more quarts of deck paint from WM in Panama City. Asked if they still matched others prices and they said yes reluntantly. Said he would have to get on the computer on BW web page. I had just stopped by BW to get a new cataloge so I asked him if it would be faster if I brought in the cataloge. He stated he guessed so. You could tell he did not enjoy matching the price of BW. They were $7 cheaper for the same paint. After I brought in the book he looked at it and put something in his register and up potted the boaters world price. They will not tell you but they already have the other prices in their machines. I have to buy 2 more quarts of Hatteras white deck paint but BW doesn't carry it. If anyone knows where I can buy it cheaper than WM let me know. I'll have them match their price.
    captbuddy

The reason WM charges so much lately is simply because they can..... If folks would stop buying ANYTHING from them it will surely send a message. The oil industry is doing the same thing with fuel prices but on a much larger scale. The problem is that we NEED fuel in order to run our businesses and/or go to work, heat our buildings etc. We really don't NEED our boats (although it would be hard to imagine life without a boat). Fortunately for us boaters, we have a lot of choices for boating supplies etc., not so with fuel.

Jim, I am familiar with Fawcetts in Annapolis and agree that it's a great place to get boat stuff. Here in central NJ we have Lockwoods which believe it or not is usually less than WM (WM store is about 400 feet away). Even if the prices at Lockwoods or Fawcetts or Sams etc... was slightly higher it seems to me that it is in our best interests to support the small independent merchant. The service is better, they can get any part and often tell you how to use it or install it. WM and Boat US and BW used to be cheaper but they finally put enough of the mom and pops out of business and are now raping the boating public. As stated before, the other WM is guilty of some of the same business practices but at least they pass some of the savings to their customers.

Buy your boat stuff from Sams or other small business and eventually the big chains will get the message. Walt.......

I agree with buying from small business when you can. I just had a washing machine go out at home. I can't fix the 11 year old Maytag since they bolted a steel drum to an aluminum transmission. Of course, it rotted away. Anyway, I ended up buying a Staber machine made in Ohio. I liked that they were a small business and that they actually encourage owners to repair these things themselves. AND they actually use greasable bearings (now theres any idea). I wish more businesses were like that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I can't tell you when the last time I saw greaseable bearings, or oiling cups...Around the Detroit and northern Ohio area Mike's Marine is a great boating store. The employees are very knowledgable and the prices are great. they have four well equippwd stores.

Unfortunetly the boating world is very expensive. I dont think it should be, but it is unreal to me. I went to the local home store yesterday to get a bronze fitting. I noticed they were 50% less that WM. You know there is not any difference between the bronze at the hardware store and teh boat store. I have found that a lot of times, there is actually no reason to go to the boat store and there is a hardware store closer.

Plus, Boaters World is much cheaper in our area. But I didnt know how much cheaper teh local marine store was untill they closed to pursue other oportunities.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

BW's prices on Kent Island (Md) usually match WM's wholesale price to the trade. Both stores here are abreviated in inventory. Kent Island is still third world. The best deals I see seem to be from Defender, via thier catalog.

Defender IS less expensive. If I make a list and order several things at once, the shipping is pretty cheap per item. I have to say that until the Collinite episode, I was paying less attention to this than I am now. I figure if WM wants to play this game, my side of it is to see how often I can avoid going in there. Or only go in with a price-matching challenge.

10. Re: price gouging?

West has a thing they call "Port Supply" - you have to have some kind of trade connection to the boating world to get a card, but if you do manage it, suddenly their prices on most things become quite reasonable.

The exception is electronics - it always pays to shop for those online.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker