Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

83 46 hp repower

one of my 892's threw a rod out the side of the engine block today, we think a cylinder was either seized or water locked at start up. so repower is an option. have read many threads on here referencing repower. I still would like some input as to your opinions as to best repower options. qsm11, cat c-12 etc. rebuild is also an option but putting one good beside and old dosnt seem the way to go. 700 hp + would be the most desireable as 25kt cruise would be nice. the boat is in great condition and other than the power I love it. was not planning on it at this point as the engines seemed be running great. thanks for your response.
    Willin'
    1983 46' c series II
    Wrightsville Beach, N.C.
    HATAS620M83A

Re: 83 46 hp repower

I would talk to the dealers for both engines in your area to see who will give you the best price and support. You may have to go with a down angle gear to get the front of the engine under the deck. Both companies should have installation blueprints online to see if they will go under the deck. Cummins has a remanufactured engine program that may save you some money. Not sure about warranty terms. Get on the phone and see what’s available.

Cats are expensive to maintain compared to cummins.

Look at the qsm11. Probably the best bang for the buck. Solid and reliable.

Get a hold of Tom DeMann at Demann power. Hes very experienced.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Cummins M11 remans would be your best deal, I think. You aren't a Little Feat fan, by any chance, are you?

Bang for the buck, cummins factory reman progran is hard to beat. Has a two year warranty.

Unless the C12 has some quirks I am not aware of, maintenance costs on Cats is a non issue compared to Cummins. Over the last 12 years I ve put over 5000 hours on a set of 3412Es then over 1200 hours on a pair of C32s (in 3 years) with not much more than oil changes, impeller and a couple of Cooling system clean up.

I think the only other new parts were a $600 starter and one $2000 ECU. Pretty reasonable.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My Cummins 370 remans (much smaller than what a 46HP would want) were a great deal on remans. We were able to reuse the gears from my Cat 3116s, and didn't have to change the rear engine mounts.

Get prices from Cummins dealers; I recommend T&S Marine in Crisfield, MD. Get a quote for each, reman and new. You will find that the new ones are available in higher hp ratings than the remans- you have to decide with your repower yard what will meet your needs. I htink the M11s are the best choice both in terms of performance and ease of maintenance. They have built thousands of these engines and I think they are well sorted out.

My marina in freeport ny mako marina has done several Cummins repowers and could be worth talking to depending on where you’re located. The Cummins reman program is a great bang for the buck

Maybe you guys are getting better numbers than I did but the price quotes I got for the recon QSM11 and the Cat C12 where pratically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Cummins M11 remans would be your best deal, I think. You aren't a Little Feat fan, by any chance, are you?
    yep, I would say little feat had a lot to do with the name. thanks for the input
    Willin'
    1983 46' c series II
    Wrightsville Beach, N.C.
    HATAS620M83A

so far the only pricing etc. that i have received is from greg poole, they quote 118,000 for a pair of c-12's in box with gears. they were very prompt. still looking for other contact info in wilmington area. demann is good but difficult sometimes. maybe if it wasnt 100 degrees outside everyone would be willin to discuss the repower in our area a little more. thanks for everyones input.
    Willin'
    1983 46' c series II
    Wrightsville Beach, N.C.
    HATAS620M83A