Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine zinc service life

How much life is left in this zinc? Asking for a friend.
    Attached Images

Re: Engine zinc service life

Which one?
    I mean which zinc, not which friend.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Your kidding right??

Maybe another 30 seconds. Someone isn’t doing their maintenance.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Maybe another 30 seconds. Someone isn’t doing their maintenance.
    I hadn't noticed this one before! So, it's at least 6 years old, and probably closer to 10! On one engine, the lug goes to a coolant line for the stabilizers... on the other engine, it's a zinc.. which one of these is not like the other!

How much time are you in salt water?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    How much time are you in salt water?
    I'm the 3rd owner of this boat. It was originally sold in New Jersey, then some years later, moved to Miami. So, it's a "salty" that's enjoyed fresh water for the last 6 years.

Are you replacing with zinc or magnesium?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Are you replacing with zinc or magnesium?
    I went zinc. I've read the pro's and con's of aluminum, magnesium, and zinc, and for the money, lifespan, and availability, zinc was a good choice. I travel to Fla, and next year will probably permanently relocate the boat there. Did you get you AC issue fixed? I replaced my salon AC with a self contained Marinaire. I cracked the nylon hose barb from the drain pan and had some leakage and wetness in the area you describe. After barb replaced, no issues with wetness... until yesterday, and thankfully was onboard to see it. Because the drain is mid pan, and the AC is at a small angle, some water always remains in the pan. Yesterday, a very courteous boater decided to gift us his wake going to the fuel dock. I had the bottom of the AC cabinet lined with papertowls to detect any leakage from my barb repair last week... they had been dry, but the boat got rocked enough to slosh water out of the AC pan.. It quickly kly dried up, but a potential source for your water.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I went zinc. I've read the pro's and con's of aluminum, magnesium, and zinc, and for the money, lifespan, and availability, zinc was a good choice. I travel to Fla, and next year will probably permanently relocate the boat there. Did you get you AC issue fixed? I replaced my salon AC with a self contained Marinaire. I cracked the nylon hose barb from the drain pan and had some leakage and wetness in the area you describe. After barb replaced, no issues with wetness... until yesterday, and thankfully was onboard to see it. Because the drain is mid pan, and the AC is at a small angle, some water always remains in the pan. Yesterday, a very courteous boater decided to gift us his wake going to the fuel dock. I had the bottom of the AC cabinet lined with papertowls to detect any leakage from my barb repair last week... they had been dry, but the boat got rocked enough to slosh water out of the AC pan.. It quickly kly dried up, but a potential source for your water.
    I’m still not sure if it’s fixed. I’m down in the keys diving with my son this week. My drain pan never did fill up so I think the problem was condensation on parts that were not over the pan.