Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twelve Point Monitor Test

For a boat of my vintage, what lights illuminate on the panel when the test button is pushed? On my boat, only shore power and aux alarm on test.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Twelve Point Monitor Test

At my vintage I am glad whenever any of my lights light up!

On mine only the engine related lights work. Because of this I bypassed the bilge alarm to the bridge panel and installed my own relay with a horn in the cockpit and under the stairs below the galley. I am going to have a fire company check my ER fire suppression and if it doesn't work properly will probably have them do a similar situation for that. I just dont trust my vital systems to something 34 years old. I made my own overheat alarm to supplement the monitor systems one as well.

As I remember (I'm not on the boat), the test with keys off illuminates only the middle lights and not engine related lights. Test with keys on will illuminate engine related lights on each side of the panel.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    As I remember (I'm not on the boat), the test with keys off illuminates only the middle lights and not engine related lights. Test with keys on will illuminate engine related lights on each side of the panel.
    Thanks. Consistent. All my others work on ignition or when individually tested at senders.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

When I test mine, 1987 version, the bilge, ac power, aux and fire lights will illuminate along with the siren
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

These are the 4 that light up when the keys are off.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    For a boat of my vintage, what lights illuminate on the panel when the test button is pushed? On my boat, only shore power and aux alarm on test.
    the four center light should light up with the keys off, bilge, fire, Aux, power off that is the way it was designed. turn on engine key and oil pressure that should light up then press test and four center and engine lights
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Great info, thanks. Looks like I've some work to do to get bilge and fire alarms to register as tests. Thanks again.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The Systems Monitor, if the same as our boat, makes use of two different relays in its circuitry. These can fail and can be replaced for about $10 each.

The right hand relay strip is for the sensors/switches and the left hand relay strip for the flybridge. There are also some extra relays and fuses down the bottom. A multimeter will determine if the resistors are OK. Over time the soldering can deteriorate and the board needs to be rebuilt. The board connections are marked and should equal the original Hatteras drawings.

Les Henderson in Florida is extremely helpful and can rebuild old SM boards. I got his name as it was written on our circuit board during a 1996 rebuild. Les also installed relay pads on our board to make swapping the relay chips easy.

https://hatterassystemsmonitor.com

I did learn from Les that a faulty Hobbs oil pressure switch can lead to a faulty relay and vice versa. Replaced both and problems solved.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 07-23-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.