Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: co detector

co detector

Any recommendations for a CO detector? Battery preferred. Only one I see on line is Fireboy- any experience with them or recs otherwise? Thanks.

Re: co detector

I ve installed 8 of these on the boat I run 3 years ago. Combo CO, fire and smoke.

On a gas boat I would use a marine CO detector since they trigger based on a different level of exposure but on a diesel CO is rare and havjng smoke detection is important

Kidde KN-COSM-XTR-B Nighthawk Combination Carbon Monoxide, Fire, and Smoke Intelligent Alarm (2 Pack) by Kidde https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018A36ZBQ..._5ylmDbWK8XSSW
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

CO is heavier than air. Detectors should be mounted low.

Smoke detectors should be mounted high. Do the math. It's not worth saving a few pennies. If there is CO on a diesel it will probably accumulate below decks and creep into sleeping areas. Especially on a convertible.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I bought this one about a month ago. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

First Alert combo alarm $54 for two at Costco yesterday. Ten year and toss. No batteries to chirp or replace.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I put these on our live-aboard. One in the master, one in the galley and one in the salon. They interconnect wirelessly so if one goes off they all go off.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Ba...7448/205133645
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I'm happy to see this thread and it's responses. Unfortunately lots of folks are under the misinformation
    that Diesel boats don't need co detectors....WRONG. I know from personal experience that it is necessary
    Some years ago while on one of my runs up the coast between So Fla and NJ, we were running offshore
    using the autopilot and cruising at about 16K. Sometime mid afternoon we were feeling very drowsy so
    on a hunch, I brought a co detector up from the salon and set it down by the con. Sure enough a little
    while later it started going off. Now, I wasn't very smart to run the way we were at the lower station on
    a 43 DC with only the middle panel of eisenglass on the stern rolled up. Since it was not a great day
    weather wise the aft deck was all buttoned up except for the middle panel as stated. After opening both
    wing doors as well, all was well. Rare and unusual, probably but it happens so be careful guys and gals,
    we need you all on this forum with all your good information.

Walt