Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How to change an exhaust connection tube hose. Without sinking the boat.

Now that we have the boat HIGH and DRY on the dry dock, it's time to take care of all the things that need to be done when the boat is out of the water. When we first had the boat surveyed, the inspector found a leaking exhaust connection hose. Because the exhaust sits underwater, there's no way to change the hose while the boat's in the water. So now that the boat is on dry dock, we're going to take advantage and get this done now. I've done a lot of research to find out how I could do this in the water and I got lots of advice but it just can't be done unless you're willing to take some chances. Not worth it in my opinion. So if you happen to have a Hatteras yacht fisherman, and you ever need to change an exhaust connection hose, this is how you do it. How to change an exhaust connection hose on a 1970's Hatteras Yacht Fisherman.
    https://youtu.be/B9xnG4NpNa0

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 1.24.57 PM.jpg
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396
    www.YouTube.com/MASTERPLANMIAMI

Adventure Awaits

Thumbs up Re: How to change an exhaust connection tube hose. Without sinking the boat.

Thanks for the how-to video.... definitely not assembled to be mainternance friendly ... applaud your patience... I may have opted to cut about 6 inches off the fiberglass exhaust ... but understand your reasoning... good move to use the silicone exhaust hose.... much easier to use and will last longer...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: How to change an exhaust connection tube hose. Without sinking the boat.

Out of curiosity, how much work is it to undo the engine end? At least there you've got room to work...
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Thanks for the how-to video.... definitely not assembled to be mainternance friendly ... applaud your patience... I may have opted to cut about 6 inches off the fiberglass exhaust ... but understand your reasoning... good move to use the silicone exhaust hose.... much easier to use and will last longer...
    Thank you. I think it took like 3 hours total. One more tip. Below
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much work is it to undo the engine end? At least there you've got room to work...
    I actually didn't remove the engine side. I tried but was way too hard.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

ONE THING I DIDN'T POST IN THE VIDEO.

Make sure you have the replacement hose before you get started. It took me 2 days to find that hose. It was an extra piece that I found at an exhaust shop. Nobody else had it. Not even the hose shops.
    MASTERPLAN MIAMI
    1975 58 Ft. Yacht Fish
    8V71TI
    HULL # 396

Adventure Awaits

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERPLAN MIAMI View Post
    ONE THING I DIDN'T POST IN THE VIDEO.

Make sure you have the replacement hose before you get started. It took me 2 days to find that hose. It was an extra piece that I found at an exhaust shop. Nobody else had it. Not even the hose shops.
    Sams Marine has it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI