Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'79 Super Sixty thoughts

I am seriously looking at a '79 60' Sport with 650 hp. 12V71TIs. I am looking for a 10 knot cruising boat, so don't plan on running it hard. I have read a few articles on this model, but if anyone has sea experience with a 60, I would appreciate some performance data, suggestions or observations.
    I used to be a Bertram dealer back in the 70s, and this is a move to the "dark side" but the 60 sport is so much more a cruiser than the same age 58' Bertram in my opinion!
    The 12Vs have 3600 hours of 10 knot cruising on the west coast.

I appreciate any feedback

Re: '79 Super Sixty thoughts

Or maybe you just came to your senses?!!😀
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

HONDO (4).jpgI love Bertrams, but this one churned me !!
    Last edited by andy_harper; 07-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.

As a bertram guy you will appreciate the rocky rolly ride at 10kts. Stabilizers will help. Remember the enclosed bridge is sweet but adds weight up there.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My dock neighbor has one just like this. Same engines, same layout etc as you posted. I've been on the boat a couple of times. He can cruise at 20kts no problem at around 3/4 throttle from my observation. Boat holds over 2000 gallons of fuel. I love the lay out. I think he is on here from time to time. Name of the boat is Juke Joint. His name is Jeff and he may post on here but I haven't seen one lately. When I see him this week I''l tell him you were asking about the boat. He loves his and lives on it.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

If the boat you are looking at is called Hondo I've seen her in Oxnard. Boat is in really good shape.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I cruise with a guy with a 1978 60C. It makes a great LRC with its huge tanks and tons of storage but it can also cruise 20kts. Great boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I really enjoy mine and highly recommend. It’s a big 60 as you know. Very heavy and stable underway. Surprisingly, they roll a little at rest. I like to keep my tanks topped off, as all of that weight is ballast below the waterline. I don’t know who would run this boat at 20kts either. To me, it’s pushing too hard, and the consumption at that speed is astronomical. Still...I’ve made some crossings in water that others were afraid of and I was never uncomfortable. The enclosed bridge is very quiet and comfortable, and depending how you are rigged they are really incredible for multiple days or a week out with 6 friends.Which boat are you considering? You mentioned west coast and I’m in so cal. I wonder if I’ve seen her.

Most of us who own these use them as 10kt boats most of the time. I can wring 'er neck and see 27kts, but my tolerance for majors keeps me from doing it.
    I've owned this boat for about 14 years and have had my hands on every system by now, you probably have a lot of questions so PM me and we'll talk on the phone.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Still...I’ve made some crossings in water that others were afraid of and I was never uncomfortable.
    This is what 60C's are all about, we've had our out in weather that drove everyone else to seek port and always felt confident we were getting home safe.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331