Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Head won't drain

I'm fairly new to Galley Maid heads.
    After not using the head for about a month, the bowl filled but wouldn't drain when flushed. The pump motor sounded normal. I checked the ball valve to the tank and it was open.
    What should I look for?

Re: Head won't drain

Try using a plunger to force the water through the system. Once it fills up it should work. If not you may have to change out your stators.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Try using a plunger to force the water through the system. Once it fills up it should work. If not you may have to change out your stators.
    Rusty is right. There is also a bleed plug on the waste end of the pump as well.

I would add that if you've clogged the toilet with too much paper, I've found jerking the plunger in an upward motion is useful to dislodge things.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Go to http://razmarinepumps.com/ Read the trouble shooting sections, look at the videos, and buy your spare parts from them. You will be an expert in no time at all.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

This forum is great! Thanks. It makes the learning curve much shorter and less painful.
    I learned before about not clogging the head when I tried to flush a paper towel. It did NOT like it; fortunately, after about 3 days, the paper towel got soggy enough it finally, grudgingly, went through.

Single Ply only!! I've tried RV toilet paper and it's almost too thin but the scotts single ply seems to be a good happy medium.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Loosen up the priming plug on the big end of the pump until water comes out. Tighten back up and you will be good to go. As mentioned if this happens regularly you may need to purchase a new stator, although I may disagree about the source of that part. Little frustrated at the moment...

Not sure how many Hatteras owners are aware that The Galley Maid Co. is still in business , operated by the original owners son, great support and service and parts for our systems

Galley Maid
    Okeechobee Fl
    863 467 6070

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in S Fla View Post
    Not sure how many Hatteras owners are aware that The Galley Maid Co. is still in business , operated by the original owners son, great support and service and parts for our systems

Galley Maid
    Okeechobee Fl
    863 467 6070
    Thanks for that information Mike I wasn’t aware. I’ve put their number in a safe place. Is it possible that you add your hull number to your signature line. See mine for s reference. Again thanks for the Galley Maid Number.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in S Fla View Post

Galley Maid
    Okeechobee Fl
    863 467 6070
    X2 on this. The pumps are more expensive but the quality is much (much) higher.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL