Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anchor

Anchor

Hi wondering if anyone had idea for what would be a good anchor
    I have a 1989 65ft MY with a 9ft cockpit added and on Lake Michigan
    Anchor I have now doesn’t seem to hold any input would be greatly
    Appreciated

Re: Anchor

The Rocna’s with the hoop are said to hold well and reset easily, but they don’t fit Hatteras pulpits very well. We went with a Rocna Vulcan and are very happy so far. Ours is 121lbs and the windlass handles it just fine.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

What types of bottom are you anchoring in mostly?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Which anchors are you now using?

My main anchor is a 150 lb. CQR. It has held well (along with a 65 lb. Delta) in mud and sand through 120 mph hurricane Irma and a few other blows not quite as strong. SCOPE, SCOPE, and more SCOPE.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    The Rocna’s with the hoop are said to hold well and reset easily, but they don’t fit Hatteras pulpits very well. We went with a Rocna Vulcan and are very happy so far. Ours is 121lbs and the windlass handles it just fine.
    I'm considering the Vulcan for my 58 LRC and was concerned how it would fit the pulpit and anchor roller.... would you be so kind as to post a photo of your setup?

Thanks in Advance!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by R D Young View Post
    SCOPE, SCOPE, and more SCOPE.
    This.......and CHAIN..... HEAVY CHAIN.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We have some Hatteras owners in the Great Lakes region- maybe they'll post some advice here. I think you need local knowledge on this one.

Sorry so long to get back I was told Lake Michigan is
    A sandy bottom thanks for interest in my issue

Lake Michigan is sand but you'll find few places to drop the hook in Lake Michigan. Most of my anchoring is in rivers and lakes connected to Lake Michigan and those have mud, clay, or sand bottoms. We have never(in 16 years until last week) had any problem with a Danforth anchor and we anchor quite often.

I did experience a problem in Government Bay in north Lake Huron last week, however. My Danforth would not hold there in a very fine, light mud. I ended up putting my FX55 Fortress on and setting it on the mud setting. That anchor dug through the fine mud and held well. When I pulled it, it came up with a giant ball of heavy clay on it, so I know it dug deep.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI