Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Way To Go From 22 Knots To 0

I’ve been boating a lot of years, but this last delivery trip threw me a curve I’ve never even heard of.

I was in the ICW in the Harvey Canal near NOLA when I felt and heard the most gawd awful sound I’ve ever heard. Everything came to a screeching halt, including my port engine. I knew I had made hard contact with something, but I had no clue what. Restarting the port revealed that, despite firing back up, it was going nowhere as it died immediately after I put it in gear. I’m no stranger to running on one engine, but when I put the starboard engine back into gear, there was more noise and a hard turn to port. With that, I dropped anchor and hollered for help. I envisioned the port prop blades being wrapped around the shaft/rudder.

Fast forward two days, and this is what I saw when I had the boat hauled. I never thought there would come a day when I would be happy to see a huge line with a huge clevis between my propellers, but there it was. Thankfully the brass rudder key had given its life as the port rudder was yanked sideways when it became snared and reeled in by the propeller. That explained why my single engine attempt lead me to a tight circle. After cutting away the line, replacing the key in the rudder, and straightening a lightly “cupped” prop, I was back on my way. Just another one for the record book.
    Attached Images
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Interesting Way To Go From 22 Knots To 0

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I’ve been boating a lot of years, but this last delivery trip threw me a curve I’ve never even heard of.

I was in the ICW in the Harvey Canal near NOLA when I felt and heard the most gawd awful sound I’ve ever heard. Everything came to a screeching halt, including my port engine. I knew I had made hard contact with something, but I had no clue what. Restarting the port revealed that, despite firing back up, it was going nowhere as it died immediately after I put it in gear. I’m no stranger to running on one engine, but when I put the starboard engine back into gear, there was more noise and a hard turn to port. With that, I dropped anchor and hollered for help. I envisioned the port prop blades being wrapped around the shaft/rudder.

Fast forward two days, and this is what I saw when I had the boat hauled. I never thought there would come a day when I would be happy to see a huge line with a huge clevis between my propellers, but there it was. Thankfully the brass rudder key had given its life as the port rudder was yanked sideways when it became snared and reeled in by the propeller. That explained why my single engine attempt lead me to a tight circle. After cutting away the line, replacing the key in the rudder, and straightening a lightly “cupped” prop, I was back on my way. Just another one for the record book.

I remember that. In fact I believe I told you what happened before you even hauled the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Since you're known to be adept on one motor and now getting some time on none, maybe sailing would be a good idea.

Seriously, you are one lucky SOB.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Lucky there wasn’t more damage. I’ve rapped items around my props and found sometimes putting it in reverse would back off the fouling. However not in this case.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yikes. I would get the shaft magnafluxed and the engjnes alignment checked. That s a lot of stress.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Can you get a stainless shaft magnafluxed?

Yes. When I snapped a 3 1/2 “ shaft a year ago and spent 3 days looking and retrieving the wheel in 22’ of water, I had the other shaft magnafluxed when we hauled out. It was cracked too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I remember that. In fact I believe I told you what happened before you even hauled the boat.
    How could I tell what happened before I hauled the boat and knew myself?

Yes, I shared this delivery on Facebook (and know you stalk me through Marti ), but I honestly thought I had managed to hit a big pile of concrete or something. I would have never guessed it was a big ass tow line around BOTH props. I'm sure that clevis was beating the hell out of the bottom of the boat which added to the sound drama.

To add detail, it was questionable at the time/point of impact that I was in fact inside the channel. My chart plotter said I was, but there were two greens. One (that I had a visual on) was off station, and the other was iffy, based on the chart. I found myself in the dubious position of being between the two as I was giving a tow a wide berth in a narrow canal. Until the boat went BOOM, I didn't see the green to my port. Yes, I emptied my entire arsenal of curse words and used my quota for the month. I contacted the owner who called SeaTow who said I was outside their service area. Say do what?

With that, a local sheriff's deputy launched a patrol boat and pulled me back to a commercial seawall where I spent two nights watching tows pass within 50' of me before being towed via a shrimpin' boat to the yard where I had the boat hauled. They checked the shafts for any sign of wobble, and there was zero to be seen and nothing to be felt after we splashed it. Ran it the rest of the way to Boca without a hitch... and without trim tabs. That made running the GOM extra special in an already bow high Cabo into 4 footers. Dang near beat me to death. That reminds me, I never did ask the owner if he got those straightened out. I picked him up in Clearwater, and he made the rest of the trip with me. I started to keep that line and clevis as a souvenir, but it wouldn't fit in my carryon.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Another shot to show the size of that line and clevis.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Since you're known to be adept on one motor and now getting some time on none, maybe sailing would be a good idea.

Seriously, you are one lucky SOB.
    Don't be a hater. That was pure skill.

For the record, I was cleaning up some photos on my phone and remembered I hadn't shared this with you good people. Maybe I'll share some more photos if y'all want to see them. One thing's for sure, a Cabo ain't no Hatteras.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93