Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I need help with wifi hardware

Lilly Marie has a Sonos wireless stereo system. If I install a router I can control the system with my ipad iPhone etc. internet access is not necessary for the controller, but would be nice for updates, Pandora, etc.

There is no Internet cable to the boat, but a wireless signal is available from the house by the dock.

What type of hardware can be attached to the router to allow it to receive the signal from the house?

Your thoughts re brands and models that are reliable and easy to install will also be appreciated.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: I need help with wifi hardware

The wirie ap would work. It creates a local network and then detects wifi signals and boosts them. I have one it works great. Easy to set up. Easy to use.

thewirie.com
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,
    The Wirie looks good as a signal booster and router, but it does not appear to have an Ethernet connection. The Sonos only has Ethernet connections and it must be wired to the router. I don't know if I could wire the antenna via USB to a computer and then connect the computer to the Sonos with an Ethernet cable?
    Thanks
    Vincent
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I ve had excellent result with the Rogue.. It s a good booster and hooks up to just about any router, so you can connect your hardware via Ethernet and use the Internet connection with any device
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

At Pascal's suggestion, I too bought the Rogue and have had very good luck with it. I have it connected to a Cradlepoint router and use a 4G aircard in the router to acquire my internet signal. When I have time, I will have the router fall over feature enabled so that it defaults to a hot spot type internet connection but will roll over to the air card if no hotspot is available.

I googled 'Rogue' and did not see anything that made sense to this discussion. Anyone have a link?

Bobk

I have the rogue in my Hatt in Florida, cabled to a roter and wi fi all over the boat, real simple, however, have not found any other "simpler" device" that will connect to the router, say, something like a no monthly fee air card that would detect wi fi signal and connect to existing router.
    Watching this thread with interest

I discussed my situation with Sonos technical support and was told that as far as the stereo system was concerned, wireless internet access by the stereo would cause problems. I will need to use a router for the Ipad to work as a remote control for the stereo, and if I understood him correctly, the wireless controllers would be confused by two networks connected to the stereo system. I can remove the "zone players" from the boat and take them to the house and make a direct connection for updates.

I did decide to keep a notebook computer on the boat and connect it to an inexpensive wifi transceiver and see how that works picking up a signal from the router at the house next to the dock. Research on the Wirie indicates that it utilizes a rather inexpensive transceiver.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2011/0...perfected.html

I am thinking I can set this up on the cabin and aim the directional antenna at the house router. The only time I use internet access is at the dock. The Ipad has G3.

The Rogue Wave and Wirie do sound good, but for my limited expected utilization, perhaps not worth the extra $300.

Thanks for the help. I will let you know if the $32 receiver serves my limited purpose.

Regards,
    Last edited by Vincentc; 07-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

The Alfa will only work on a computer and must be connected by the USB. The Wirie would work wirelessly on all devices and would save cellphone data charges on the IPhone and IPad. It's on my todo list.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee