Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AC Condensation overflow

Hi all, the small air handler in the salon started leaking to the master stateroom below. The bottom of the cabinet was wet so The course is confirmed. I pulled the condensate hose from the sea chest and it did appear blocked. I ran a snake though it and pulled crud unutterable then vacuumed it with a small shopvac until it was clear. To make sure I covered the hose with duct tape and blew through it and it is clear. Surprisingly though, there never came a flood through the hose after it was cleared.

Next I dried the bottom of the cabinet and started the AC. Unfortunately it quickly got wet again. Any ideas?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: AC Condensation overflow

We had one that did the same thing. We pulled it apart and sprayed the condensation pan with flex seal. No more issues. Ours was also mounted at an angle so some of the condensation was missing the pan so we remounted it too.
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

Our recent similar experience....Is water overflowing from the tray or is tray empty? If latter then tray or fitting has issue. Also is hose clamp tight on (plastic) hose tail? Or is hose too old and leaking anyway at hosetail? Unit can get wet quickly if in humidity with hatch open. Also blow air from through hull fitting or sump BACK UP the hose. This last point solved our issue. A wad of muck ended up in the tray and issue was resolved.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I opened the front of the cabinet and the pan is not full. In fact, the high side of the pan toward the bow has some kind of sponge-like material in it and is dry. The bottom of the pan is insulated with that black spongy material and it is wet. Strangely, it looks like the water on the cabinet floor has run uphill toward the bow of the boat.

There is an elbow fitting from the low-end of the drain pan to the drain line. I guess it’s possible that fitting broke or is no longer sealed to the pan. It will be hard as hell to get in there to work on that.

I guess tomorrow I will remove the insulation from the bottom of the pan and see if we have corrosion. It seems to be a heavy gauge stainless pan.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

David, we basically have the same boat. I had same issue, eventually removed headliner from mid-ship head below and drilled with 3” hole saw to expose the bottom of the drain pan, elbow and hose from below. Removed, cleaned and resealed. Then made a fitting that would connect dock water hose to the drain vent and blasted water at relatively high pressure through it. After all that I still have to occasionally put wet vac on it from port engine room to keep it from backing up. Ours drains into mid ship head if it backs up.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have now tightened the hose clamp but I doubt that is the only problem because the fitting above it was wet. Upon closer examination there is sweating on several parts that are not above the pan, such as the large hose clamp coming off the fan. I have lived on the boat for nine years though and this is a new problem.

This air handler is definitely not original. In fact it looks new. The installation also looks good except that the 240V wiring was connected with non-insulated butt connectors which were laying on the wet floor of the cabinet. Sheesh.

I think I’ll let the floor of the cabinet dry completely overnight and then watch it for leaks as I run it in the morning. Please keep the ideas coming. It’s hot and humid here in Tennessee.

Hot and humid in Tennessee? I worked for a company in Cookeville 20 years ago. It either snowed or was hot and humid. I learned to line dance and had my first big boat fresh water boating experiences on the amazing American lake system.

The water tracking up hill may well be water finding the driest surface wood or a dip in the cabinetry, but its really leaking from where the drips are.

With your latest description I go back to my original comment about humidity. If operating in humid conditions and the cabinet is open then the evaporator will get damp very quickly. Close the cabinet and air passes directly through the (clean?) air filter to the vanes? If the filter is not clean the unit will try and bring humid air into the cabinet from other air sources and condensation will form. Try removing the filter and closing the cabinet.

You have cleaned the lines and tray is dry... but there may still be crud in the 90 degree hosetail... you can get an air gun into the top of the hosetail entrance via the tray.

BUT now there is reason to believe that condensation is forming on the evaporator (& hoseclamps). Water is not being collected by the tray and falling to the wooden floor. Put tea towels under the tray and units and see where they get wet.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Hot and humid in Tennessee? I worked for a company in Cookeville 20 years ago. It either snowed or was hot and humid. I learned to line dance and had my first big boat fresh water boating experiences on the amazing American lake system.

The water tracking up hill may well be water finding the driest surface wood or a dip in the cabinetry, but its really leaking from where the drips are.

With your latest description I go back to my original comment about humidity. If operating in humid conditions and the cabinet is open then the evaporator will get damp very quickly. Close the cabinet and air passes directly through the (clean?) air filter to the vanes? If the filter is not clean the unit will try and bring humid air into the cabinet from other air sources and condensation will form. Try removing the filter and closing the cabinet.

You have cleaned the lines and tray is dry... but there may still be crud in the 90 degree hosetail... you can get an air gun into the top of the hosetail entrance via the tray.

BUT now there is reason to believe that condensation is forming on the evaporator (& hoseclamps). Water is not being collected by the tray and falling to the wooden floor. Put tea towels under the tray and units and see where they get wet.
    Great points. I was running it with the cabinet open so I could watch for drips. That cabinet was never designed to be airtight. Just before going to bed I saw a new drip forming directly under the fan blower. I do think the elbow is clear as I blew through the hose from the bottom after vacuuming it and felt minimal restriction. I did check the filter and it was passable but I’ll go ahead and change it, close the cabinet and see what happens tomorrow.

We don’t know about tea towels in Tennessee. Paper will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    David, we basically have the same boat. I had same issue, eventually removed headliner from mid-ship head below and drilled with 3” hole saw to expose the bottom of the drain pan, elbow and hose from below. Removed, cleaned and resealed. Then made a fitting that would connect dock water hose to the drain vent and blasted water at relatively high pressure through it. After all that I still have to occasionally put wet vac on it from port engine room to keep it from backing up. Ours drains into mid ship head if it backs up.
    Hi Jerry I had that problem too a couple of years ago in the midship head. That’s the drain from the forward salon air handler. The wetvac in the starboard head did the trick for that one. This problem is the aft salon air handler which would be soaking the starboard valance of the master stateroom except that I had removed it to have veneered teak valences built. They are finished but not yet installed.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Hi Jerry I had that problem too a couple of years ago in the midship head. That’s the drain from the forward salon air handler. The wetvac in the starboard head did the trick for that one. This problem is the aft salon air handler which would be soaking the starboard valance of the master stateroom except that I had removed it to have veneered teak valences built. They are finished but not yet installed.
    David, sorry I commented on the wrong unit. Did you have any luck clearing this up? I may eventually have to tackle the same issue. Also, would you mind updating on the new valences you are installing and maybe some pics? Thanks
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL