Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Opinions Wanted: Lower Helm area usage

I run almost 100% from my flybridge,, even in heavy rain. With 360 degree visibility, the ability to hear oncoming vessels and sense changes in the wind, about the only thing that gets me below is LIGHTNING! And perhaps freezing weather but I don't do that much any more. I have started going below on long hull-speed Bahamas passages just to reduce my sun exposure.

So I would keep the lower station. All my electronics are duplicated at both stations, radar, depth, autopilot, GPS plotters. Every so often one of these goes out and it is nice to have a backup. Besides, it confirms the nautical purpose of my boat and I don't have to climb a ladder to impress guests.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thanks to all for their informed responses (I love this forum!). Actually, I had no intention of removing the lower helm. I just wanted to know whether or not I should permanently install a nice Pompanette platinum series helm chair. If I permanently bolt it to the floor, it would preclude the dining option I posted in the picture.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Just to be contrary, what would be to effect of removing most of the helm (wheel, gauges, nav, etc.) keeping only the throttles, thrusters and a small wheel. This station would only be used for docking and slow speed maneuvering. The primary helm would be at the upper station.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

It's a good place to run from on hot days.

-Marcus
    Attached Images
    Beach House-Hull#421

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Just to be contrary, what would be to effect of removing most of the helm (wheel, gauges, nav, etc.) keeping only the throttles, thrusters and a small wheel. This station would only be used for docking and slow speed maneuvering. The primary helm would be at the upper station.
    When i redesigned the salon on my 53 i looked into a building a smaller helm with a smaller wheel and compact electronic controls, move the Air con unit that s on port side and build a small L shaple sette and table in that corner similar to what you find on the pilothouse of many trawlers or passage maker. In the end it seemed like a lot of work and decided to go with a high low expandable table while keeping the helm as is although pushed forward
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I usually use the fly bridge, but certainly not always. Sometimes it is too hot or it is raining too much. Also, some friends/copilots like the comfort of the lower helm. In any event, I would never buy a 53 where the lower helm was removed. I saw one once and I don't think it ever sold. I also didn't see any real improvement in space. There is a lot under there, and the galley cabinets and hallway ceiling takes up most of the space. Boats designed without a lower helm look decent though, and more roomy.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by risctaker View Post
    Thanks to all for their informed responses (I love this forum!). Actually, I had no intention of removing the lower helm. I just wanted to know whether or not I should permanently install a nice Pompanette platinum series helm chair. If I permanently bolt it to the floor, it would preclude the dining option I posted in the picture.
    I thought this was one of the first things I was going to do on my 53 when I got it, but I have gotten used to having a movable helm chair. I don't live aboard, so the need for a dining table is not that great, but if I did, I think I would put A/C in the aft deck and dine there.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by mgernes View Post
    It's a good place to run from on hot days.

-Marcus
    Can you send me some pictures from the aft doors looking at the helm seats please? and what make/mdl did you use?
    Thank you.
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341

I run almost exclusively from the lower helm. On perfect weather days, I'm on the flybridge but otherwise I'm in the pilothouse. I like being close to the engine rooms which makes periodic checks quick and easy. I'm also closer to the galley if I get hungry
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I run almost exclusively from the lower helm. On perfect weather days, I'm on the flybridge but otherwise I'm in the pilothouse. I like being close to the engine rooms which makes periodic checks quick and easy. I'm also closer to the galley if I get hungry
    All great reasons!!
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341