Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions Wanted: Lower Helm area usage

Hi Guys n Gals,

I personally do not use the lower helm station to con the boat but it is for sale and I have the option of leaving it as it is currently set up as an interior formal dining area OR I have a new high end helm seat which can be installed in it's place. I'd like the collective opinions of this forum, (whose opinions I value greatly) as to whether the lower helm is or is not used by most and which option is most favored for the 53 MY as a "for sale" vessel.

Thanks in advance
    Steve (Risctaker)
    Attached Images
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Re: Opinions Wanted: Lower Helm area usage

Steve,

Great question.... short answer......leave it alone.

Now the reason for my comment. I have seen several (very few) that have removed the lower helm
    and while it did open up the area greatly, when it came time to part with the boat, it became a major
    issue with prospective buyers. Removing the lower helm on the older (71-77) 38 DC was IMO a vast
    improvement. I knew of several Series I 48 MY's (1981-1984) that also had the lower helm. It was
    never used and just took away usable space. The 1510's however are again IMO a much different story.
    Matter of face I know of some 1510 owners that usually operate the boat from the lower station 99%
    of the time. It affords good visibility and all weather comfort. Also makes it easy to grab lines when
    coming in to a dock. Again, I would leave it.

Walt

The lower helm is a great feature on the 53 (and its cousins) for three reason

- get out of the sun heat cold or rain
    - docking: you re just a few steps away from your spring lines
    - when something goes wrong (engine issue), running from the lower helm allowanyoi to hear and smell what s going on

When I moved my galley up and aft, taking about 5’ or salon space I considered removing the helm... for about 15 seconds. Instead I redesigned the helm so that it is a little more forward (saving almost a foot of space). For dining I just finished a Hi-Lo tables which works really well.

He is the end result. First pic with table folded and in low position. Second expanded table in high position with top slid closer to couch. It s big enough to seat 5 for dinner when it’s too hot outside
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I’ve used it 3 times in 4 years. I love the fly bridge and cruising with the wind in my face. My fly bridge is not enclosed and the only time I would use the lower helm is if it were bitter cold or raining. That being said, do not remove it, the new buyer might like to cruise in comfort.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have only used the bridge one time. I would much rather be in the air conditioning when it’s 95 degrees and in the heated salon when it’s 50 and raining. I know several owners of 53 that never run the boat from the bridge. Don’t get rid of the lower helm.

MY owners DO run the boat from the lower station; convertible owners (of older boats, since newer convertibles don't even HAVE a lower station) seldom run the boat from the lower helm.

If you remove the lower helm, you are decreasing your pool of potential buyers; you just don't know by what percentage you are reducing it. But, beyond doubt, you are making the boat less attractive to those who want a lower helm, and not that much more attractive with a dining area there.

Hatteras' original designs for virtually all their boats were very well conceived and executed. Unless you are doing a total refit and reapportioning of interior spaces, like Pascal has done, leave well enough alone and don't get rid of the lower helm. The next owner may want that option left open to him or her.

I agree with Pascal, almost always drive from lower helm, to cold and windy on fly bridge most of the time and close to lines for docking, if I enclosed my fly bridge I might use it more, but like it open for warm days. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Are use ours all the time. We’ve been caught in some bad storms and I was really glad to have it.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Keep the lower helm. I seem to think you were really asking to leave the table and chairs or reinstall the helm seat. I would photograph it both ways. Convertibility increases the market.

As far as preference, I have always run boats from the upper most station because I ran convertibles. The lower station on a MY can be better for socializing and docking, but hard to beet the visibility of the bridge. After fireworks on 4th of July, I ran mine back into the harbor with a million of my fellow boaters. I went to the bridge to keep all those bast...folks in my constant view. helped it was a gorgeous night!
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    After fireworks on 4th of July, I ran mine back into the harbor with a million of my fellow boaters.
    I watched that once from shore and vowed NEVER to be in the middle of it.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay