Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power steering

Power steering

I here you guys talk about power steering, do you mean using the auto pilot to steer or do the bigger boats actually have some kind of power assist on the steering system and if so does run off an engine or is it an electric pump of some kind. Saw a 70 MY and the steering seemed very stiff with nothing on thought maybe it needed the power assist if there is one. Thanks, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Power steering

Usually when you get over 60/65, manufacturers install Hynautic / Sea Star power steering version of their system. It uses an hydraulic pump on one of the engines to boost the system.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Accusteer makes one that can be used as an autopilot pump as well for about $2k. 12 or 24 volt.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Thanks for info
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Teleflex offers 2 types of power assist for hydraulic steering systems, pump driven by an engine or an electric pump.
    The electric pump has 2 different models, 1 for mostly outboards and then a big boat model.
    We upgraded ours when we put the CATs in, it's an awesome upgrade.
    Now most of the builders are putting in the Teleflex electtic pump system, my guess is it's an easier install.
    Btw, power assist is pretty standard on all of the bigger outboards and inboards maybe down to 50' these days.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E