Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

16' vs 18' ?? How wide to go?

I understand that 18' wide gives more interior volume.Does the extra width help with ride?Does it help with stability at anchor?How big of a difference?Any other benefits?

Re: 16' vs 18' ?? How wide to go?

I find the extra width gives more then interior room, it translates over all 3 decks. When calculating stability beam is a major factor, and 2 extra feet can add a lot of stability mathematically. I have not been on a 15'10" boat in a long time, so I cannot speak to the ride, but in almost every case the ride is better (smoother). Best thing to do is find some boats in your area, and beg a ride. Most Hatteras owners love to take people out.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

The math wont lie.

Wider will mean better stability and reduced roll. Narrower will mean softer entry into a head sea. Since a boat at anchor will usually take waves to the bow wider boat will rise and fall more IF the hull is the same.

As far as rolling it's all about the cob vs cog. Build it higher it will rock. Keep the bottom wide and the weight low and it will rock less. Then15.10 boats roll much more than the wider boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think the wider boat may be my best choice. It would probably work better with a larger dinghy also.River Randy I have a crazy July with no time to look at boats until August but I would gladly pay for fuel for someone to take me on a demo ride. That is a great idea.

marina slip widths where you want to cruise should be included in your analysis. We cruise in places where an 18 or wider beam would require the face dock.
    much more limiting.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

[QUOTE=carolinacoast;352221]marina slip widths where you want to cruise should be included in your analysis. We cruise in places where an 18 or wider beam would require the face dock.
    much more limiting.[/QUOTE

That is a good point.

Two feet of beam is worth 6 feet of LOA
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Two feet of beam is worth 6 feet of LOA

Thank you.
    Skiff

The 18'2" rolls more at the dock than the 15' 10". I know this from a Hatteras rendezvous many years ago in Grand Haven, MI. There was a surge coming in the channel from Lake Michigan. The boat slips were situated so that all of the boats were taking it on the beam. We sat on shore having a pot luck dinner and all commented on how the 65MY, 60C, and 60MY rolled more than the three 53MY that sat along side of them.

It seems counter intuitive but we all saw it. I think maybe the extra flat surface area aft lends to the extra roll, or maybe it was just the period of the waves.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-24-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by shallowskiff View Post
    I think the wider boat may be my best choice. It would probably work better with a larger dinghy also.River Randy I have a crazy July with no time to look at boats until August but I would gladly pay for fuel for someone to take me on a demo ride. That is a great idea.
    if you ever get to Houston, look me up.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina